We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grits - where to buy it?

switzerland
Level Contributor
128 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Grits - where to buy it?

Hello

I will be visiting Durham, Charleston, Savannah and Athens soon. Last time I was in Savannah I simply couldn't stop eating shrimp and grits and I am thinking of bringing some grits home this time.

So where would a good place to buy grits? What do I have to look for? I will be staying in Mt Pleasant but will have a car. .

Thanks

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,046 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grits - where to buy it?

Any grocery store will have them. Be sure not to get instant grits-yuk.

If you want to special local grits look at this website for more info:

http://ansonmills.com/

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grits - where to buy it?

Most local grocery stores have some good quality grits. Whole Foods in Mt. Pleasant will definitely have good quality, stone ground grits, but so does Piggly Wiggly. In the Pig, the better quality grits are found in the "local foods" section.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grits - where to buy it?

+1 for Anson Mills.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grits - where to buy it?

Swisstravel - where were some of your favorite places for grits? Curious - since everyone makes them SO differently!

Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grits - where to buy it?

When I was in Charleston years ago, at the open air market, I found the best Grits that had Garlic in them. It was from a vendor. Any idea what they were or is the market still going on?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grits - where to buy it?

The Market is still there but the vendors change from time to time.

I have not had grits with garlic in them but do put some garlic in when I make cheese grits.

7. Re: Grits - where to buy it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 06:19