We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Hi All!

Headed to Charleston this Saturday for 5 nights, me and my husband 50/59 and our 21 year old daughter. I have a rough draft of an itinerary, but it needs some help filling in some empty time, and a bit of help with restaurants. I'm having a hard time with restaurants only because we like simple American, and it's hard to find that! Also, since 2 of the 4 full days we will be there most things are closed, I put whatever is open on those days into the itinerary, so I have to work around that.

We would like to eat lunch at 5 Loaves Cafe, Pit Stop Deli and Gaulart & Maliclet French cafe, but not sure which days to go, since I am not familiar with the proximity of where we are each day at lunch. Also need breakfast suggestions. Would like to visit Angel Oak, maybe St. Michaels, Magnolia Cemetery, go on Charleston Water Taxi. Where would you all put this in on the below itinerary?

If there is anything you would change, or add in, please let me know....need help!! So sorry for the short notice!

Saturday

Arrive at Market Pavillion about 7pm

Dinner somewhere near ??

Sunday

Breakfast - is Hominy or Toast closer to hotel?

Old South Carriage (tickets purchased on Groupon)

Dreyton Hall

Lunch ??

Nothing planned.. maybe King St. shopping?

Dinner -not planned yet, but should be hard

Any bars with entertainment?

Monday - Christmas Eve day

Breakfast - Hominy , Toast, suggestions?

10:30am Footprints 2 hour walking tour

Lunch ??

Nothing planned yet, any suggestions?

Dinner - ugh, can't find American or Italian open xmas eve that is under $20 p/p.

No other plans, any suggestions?

Tuesday - Christmas Day

Breakfast

Magnolia Plantation

Lunch?

No afternoon plans since nothing is really open

6pm Dinner - Grill 225

Festival of Lights James Island

Wednesday

Breakfast

Free time

lunch

1:30pm 2 hour Segway tour in Mt. Pleasant

No other plans the rest of the day or evening

Thursday - leave for home.

As you can see, we have a lot of free time, which is where I hope some of the experts can help me to fill in. We definitely want to shop on King Street!

Thanking you in advance!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Okay.

Not sure what "simple American" means. Is that like a meat and two vegetables? I put Sermet's on your list but it has a Mediterrean menu. I recommend you look at the menus posted as you walk around and see what you'd like to revisit. I've put some recommendations into your schedule here but I think you should just go with it: if you see something that sounds good, stop and go in.

I also think you might want to go out to one of the beaches. Poe's on Sullivans is open on Christmas Eve.

I also recommend you use opentable.com to look for restaurants. You can also use the "search nearby" feature on google maps to find something close to where you are.

My last rec is for you to relax and enjoy yourselves.

Saturday

Dinner somewhere near ?? MAGNOLIA'S?

Sunday

Breakfast - is Hominy or Toast closer to hotel? TOAST

Dreyton Hall

Lunch ?? SERMET'S

Nothing planned.. maybe King St. shopping? KING ST IS LOVELY THIS TIME OF YEAR

Dinner -not planned yet, but should be hard WHY? GO TO UPPER KING AND LOOK AT CLOSED FOR BUSINESS, VIRGINIA'S, COAST

Any bars with entertainment? SURE http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/

Breakfast - Hominy , Toast, suggestions?

Lunch ??DEPENDS ON WHERE TOUR ENDS

Nothing planned yet, any suggestions?

Dinner - ugh, can't find American or Italian open xmas eve that is under $20 p/p.SEE IF MUSTARD SEED OR BOULEVARD DINER IN MT P ARE OPEN

No other plans, any suggestions?

Tuesday - Christmas Day

Breakfast

Magnolia Plantation

Lunch?

No afternoon plans since nothing is really open WALK THROUGH CHARLESTON PLACE AND LOOK AT THE DECORATIONS

6pm Dinner - Grill 225

Wednesday

Breakfast

Free time

lunch

1:30pm 2 hour Segway tour in Mt. Pleasant

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Saturday

TBonz for simple, Magnolia's for elegant. See their websites, and GET RESERVATIONS.

Sunday

Breakfast - Toast is closer to hotel

Dreyton Hall. DO THIS ANOTHER DAY. It's a 45-minute drive.

Lunch ?? Somewhere downtown.

Nothing planned.. King St. shops will be open. Dont miss the Christmas displays at Charleston Place

Any bars with entertainment? Sure. You'll see them while you're out. Pick up local papers for itineraries.

Breakfast - Hominy , Toast, suggestions? Call ahead before going anywhere. Saffron has a nice breakfast.

Dinner - ugh, can't find American or Italian open xmas eve that is under $20 p/p. Ask your concierge. Contact the Market Pavilion concierge now and ask them.

Tuesday - Christmas Day

Breakfast

Magnolia Plantation

Lunch? Maybe at Middleton Place. See if they're open.

No afternoon plans since nothing is really open

6pm Dinner - Grill 225

Wednesday

Breakfast

Free time

lunch

1:30pm 2 hour Segway tour in Mt. Pleasant. I'd skip this.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

You are going to want to have some time to just walk around downtown and see things, buildlings, homes, etc.

On Sunday ~ you realize that Drayton Hall is about a 30 min drive away from downtown, a couple of hours while there, 30 mind drive back, right? So I would plan on just stopping for lunch somewhere along the way while headed back downtown.

I don't think the water taxi runs in the winter, but can not say I am positive about that.

Regarding the suggestion for Sermet's for lunch... they recently remodeled and opened with a new menu, have not been yet, heard it is much more expensive now. Here are some websites of various restaurants... look them up and see what is open.

Downtown

www.charlestonmuse.com

www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com

www.eatatbasil.com

www.eatatfig.com

www.ansonrestaurant.com

www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com

www.hominygrill.com

Mt. Pleasant

www.vickerysbarandgrill.com

www.redsicehouse.com

www.shemcreekbarandgrill.com

www.wreckrc.com

www.waters-edge-restaurant.com

www.cravemtp.com

www.dinewithsal.com

The Isle of Palms/Sullivan's Island

www.boathouserestaurants.com

www.highthymecuisine.com

www.poestavern.com

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Magnolia Plantation is open on Christmas Day. Middleton is not.

I like Mustard Seed, but woulldn't call it "American."

If you like seafood, a new place (same owners and FIG) just opened. It's on upper King Street. It's called the Ordinary. It has a raw bar, and you can get small plates. Not open for lunch.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Here is an additional list of things to see or do that you might not have considered. (I too, would skip that Segway tour)

Take the sea turtle rescue tour at the aquarium. Take a tasting tour at the distillery ~ www.fireflyvodka.com

www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org Check out the Charleston Museum, focuses on lowcountry history, on the small side, can be done in a couple of hours. www.charlestonmuseum.org

Interested in art?? www.gibbesmuseum.org

The Fireman's Museum out in N. Charleston, next to the outlet mall. www.legacyofheroes.org See the inside of a cathedral www.charlestoncatholiccathedral.org

The old exchange and/or powder magazine

www.powdermag.org

www.oldexchange.org

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Ooohhh, was wondering when The Ordinary would open.

Even in some of the more expensive restaurants ~ you could get appetizers and dessert, rather than entrees and keep the cost down some.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Agree with Endo... I often get just an app or small plate, because I usually can't finish an entree!

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I am going to look into all of them tonight and see what else I can add into the itinerary., including the restaurants you suggested. I did use opentable already. I looked into the restaurants that are registered with them for xmas eve, but didn't really find anything we wanted. I'm sure we'll find something.

@Shank, sorry meant to say for Sunday night dinner "shouldn't be hard", not should be hard! Changes the whole meaning..LOL!

Why did some of you suggest not to do the segway tour in Mt. Pleasant? We were really looking forward to that as we have been on segway tours before and really enjoyed it. I already made reservations, so we are still going to go, but I was just curious as to why you don't suggest it. The owner of the company said he is friends with the owner of the water taxi, and he recommended we do that. So perhaps it is open.

I'm going to iron out the itinerary. It is totally flexible, I just want to have some sort of outline for our trip. It isn't meant to be rigid, just a guide.

Thanks again, truly appreciate the ideas and I will look up everything later tonight :)

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Okay, that's different, lol. Check out endo's links and see what looks good. Just know-you won't go hungry.

And IOPnative, I'd be interested in how you characterize Mustard Seed if it's not American.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last Minute Itinerary...PLEASE HELP!!

Two things...

Boulevard Diner and Mustard Seed will be closed on Christmas Eve.

After reading the article in the newspaper the other day, I believe that The Ordinary will definitely be more than $20 p/p.

I planned a Christmas visit for friends a few years ago, it wasn't easy.

I'm not a fan of Poogans Porch, but I believe they are open on both Christmas Eve and Day.

I too believe that the water taxi is out of comission until spring.

Sorry you already have tickets for the tour in MP.

Yes, take some time to visit a beach...Sullivans and Poes for lunch would be perfect.