We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Dec. 13 to 15/12

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Dec. 13 to 15/12

We base alot of what we do when travelling on the information provided in these forums. Here is our trip report for our two night stay in Charleston.

We booked the Best Western King Charles Inn on Meeting Street based on the location and the reviews on this site. We absolutely loved this hotel. The location was perfect. We parked our car and walked everywhere. The market was maybe 10 minute walk tops. Lots of great restaurants in the area, again only a 10 minute walk tops.

We had driven 17 hours straight and arrived at noon to the hotel. Our room was ready, so we unloaded our car and headed out for some lunch. We walked down to the market area and had lunch at the Charleston Crab House. Food was good as was the service. We went back to our hotel after lunch and a short walk for a rest. We headed back out again around 5:00 pm to tour the area. There was next to no one on the streets. We couldn't believe how empty it was..this was a Thursday night. We walked around for a couple of hours, the homes were all beautifully decorated for Christmas. We stopped into Sticky Fingers around 8:00 for some beer and wings. Beer was good and cold, but the wings were just okay. Not too impressed. They also close at 9:00 pm because business is slow.

Day two, we took the Palmetto carriage tour at 10:00 am. We had received a coupon package from our hotel at check-in that had a $4.00 off coupon if you took a tour prior to 10 am. What a great way to spend an hour. Can't remember our tour guides name (was a former history teacher), but he was excellent. Would highly recommend a carriage tour. We had route #2 this tour. We would probably do this again with the hopes of seeing another route. There is so much to see and so much history. We had considered a walking tour, but we didn't have enough time this trip.

After the carriage ride we bought some sweetgrass baskets and gifts from some ladies in front of the court house. Really nice items and reasonable prices. We stopped and had lunch at the Southend Brewery and Smokehouse. My husband likes to try local beers so we went in. The restaurant is very appealing, but the service was poor. They weren't very busy during the lunch hour, this was a Friday, so I'd hate to see what kind of service you'd get on a busy day. The food was okay, the beer selection wasn't great for a so called Brew Pub. We headed back to our hotel to drop off the things we purchased and back out to walk the streets. We went down to the waterfront park where the Pineapple Fountain is. This is a pretty area, would love to see it in the spring. The weather was a little cool while we were there, but we didn't mind it at all. A light jacket and scarf is all we needed.

We met up with some friends in the evening for dinner at Jestine's just around the corner from our hotel. We were a little disappointed with all the rave reviews, I guess we were expecting better. I had the pecan crusted chicken, was delicious, but my sides were cold. The others in our party had the seafood platter. Not all that good either, and their sides were cold. Not sure that I'd return there. We headed out for the evening stopping at a couple of different places for drinks. There were alot more people out Friday night, the streets were very busy.

The next morning we headed out looking for breakfast. Jestine's isn't open for breakfast, so we headed up to Toast...long lineup there, so we went back to our hotel and packed up. We had a buffet brunch at a hotel on US 17 (was across from the Holiday Inn Express), with our friends. Food was very good, hot and fresh.

We really enjoyed our visit to Charleston. It was a very short visit on our way to Florida for Christmas. We had stopped once before in Charleston and wanted to return to see more of this beautiful city. It was also an opportunity to see our friends who live nearby. The people are very friendly and make you feel welcomed, that we hated to leave. With so much to see and do here, we can't wait for our next visit.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Dec. 13 to 15/12

Glad you had a nice time, even tho it was such a short visit. We have MANY restaurants that are far better than those you mentioned. I probably would not have suggested any of those. Next visit you will have time to see more and eat some really good food! :-D

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Dec. 13 to 15/12

Great review, although I agree with endo: next time, better food!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Dec. 13 to 15/12

Thanks for your comments about Best Western - the King "Chuck" is generally where I recommend staying on a budget.

Your breakfast buffet must have been at Trotters, a genuine local favorite.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Dec. 13 to 15/12

There are so many restaurants to choose from. We spent most of time site seeing, so we just stopped to eat wherever we were when we were hungry. We were in jeans and sweaters and most of the nicer places we passed looked liked we needed to dress up. We passed some pretty nice restaurants. Next trip for sure!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Dec. 13 to 15/12

Not true on the dressing up. You will see people dressed up from work or if they are on their way to an event, etc. However, casual dress is fine. Excluding anything raggedy looking, t shirts, excessively faded jeans, flip flops, etc. A decent pair of jeans and a sweater are just fine. Or in summer ~ khaki's, capri pants, cotton skirt, etc In summer bring a wrap, some places set their AC on "meat locker".

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Dec. 13 to 15/12

I'm w/the others, glad you had a good time, but not the restaurants I would have suggested.

Yes, Endo is right, a decent pair of jeans and a sweater will get you into most of the restaurants in town.

You were here right before the folks who come in for Christmas Break, that's why there wasn't much activity in the HD.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Dec. 13 to 15/12

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed report. I certainly agree with the others: next time, better food!

8. Re: Trip Report - Dec. 13 to 15/12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 23:16