We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July or August

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
July or August

We are planning a beach vacation this year staying at the Sea Cabins in IOP. I understand the weather will be hot and humid but due to work and school schedules we will be visiting in either July or August. Is there much of a difference in weather/crowds during this time? The condo rates go down in August making it more afforable. I just wondered if there was any reason (besides the heat) to avoid visiting in August vs July.

Thanks in advance!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,204 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July or August

Weather wise... they are about the same. The reason the rates begin to go down is that schools in the area start about mid August, so less demand. I would go with the more budget friendly time. July is typically the busiest time, especially around the 4th. Marginally less crowded in August, more so later in the month as more schools go back.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July or August

I agree - go in August when the crowds start to thin a bit.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: July or August

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to book the condo for the week of Aug 10th. I just wanted to make sure we wouldn't have more rain/storms in August. The plan is to stay at the beach during the day then head into town for the evenings when hopefully it cools down a bit!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July or August

There are often late afternoon storms in August so take an umbrella.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July or August

You will find that to cool off you'll want to be on the beach! Even in July, there is usually a **Strong** breeze, and coupled with getting wet, it is nature's air conditioning. We always head to the beach when we want to cool off! Now, that is only true at the water's edge though - the walk from the condo can be hot!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July or August

The Sea Cabins are on front beach, so don't worry about the walk. As for afternoon showers... they happen all summer, not just August. Standard summer forecast in Charleston is hot with chance of afternoon thunderstorms.

7. Re: July or August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 06:18