We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Charleston

Alabama
Level Contributor
34 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Charleston

My husband and I are taking my parents and our two kids (age 15 and 13) to Charleston over Spring Break this year. I have booked a house on Folly Beach and want to spend a lot of time enjoying the sights and history of Charleston. I don't even know where to begin though since none of us have ever been. What are the do-not-miss attractions? Any great places to eat? Also, I don't want to spend too much paying for each house or plantation. Also, I'm a huge shell collector. Are there any on Folly Beach? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Charleston

The first thing you need to do is look to the right side of this page for Top Questions about Charleston. This will answer many of your questions regarding what to see and do. Also, read over some of the other forum posts..... the restaurants you see mentioned over and over are the places that we really eat, NOT tourist places. You can also use the "search" box just above your question ~ enter "restaurants" (or whatever) and it will pull up other threads about that subject.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Charleston

We can help more if you tell more about your interests. Grandparents and young teens are a wide mix.

Plenty of great places to eat. You can enjoy much of Charleston on foot, for free. Folly is not good for shelling.

Teens like Fort Moultrie (Sullivans Island), Aiken-Rhett House, Moe's Crosstown Tavern, any restaurants on King Street near the College of Charleston.

Teens mostly like hanging around the beach, Center Street, and the pier. They want to meet their own kind.

Muskoka District...
Level Contributor
228 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Charleston

Absolutely visit Patriots Point and tour an aircraft carrier, the USS Yorktown and a WW2 submarine. I guarantee even your teens will be impressed and enjoy standing on the flight deck.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Charleston

If you just walk around one day without an itinerary that may be all you need to start. There are lot of nice historice homes to look at. You can walk along the water...pop in to a nice place for lunch. Go to a rooftop bar or restaurant with a view.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Charleston

The Charleston Visitors Center website can give you a good overview of the many different types of things to do. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/

Alabama
Level Contributor
34 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Charleston

Thanks all! I have a good start!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Charleston

There is a great market on Marion Square in the spring - check to see if it is open. Do not get it confused with the "market" on Market Street - they are different (the one on Market Street is touristy - the one on Marion Square is much more focused on locals).

King Street has good shopping. The teenagers may like a ghost tour. The grandparents would probably like a horse-drawn carriage tour. My favorite restaurant is Magnolia - seafood and "lowcountry" food. Many people will tell you to go to Hyman's - only listen to them if you like fried seafood. You can also rent bicycles and ride over the Ravenel bridge. A harbour tour can be fun. Have fun!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Charleston

The Charleston Heritage Passport offers savings on visits to major historic sites - charlestoncvb.com/charlestonheritagefederati…

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Charleston

The market at Marion Square is the farmers market. Only there on Sat. mornings.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Charleston

Farmers Market in Marion Square starts on April 13 this year.