We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Charleston area beach vs downtown

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 nights in Charleston area beach vs downtown

Hi. We are planning our first visit to Charleston in June. We will have our 9 year old son with us. I was initially thinking of staying on Isle of Palms for 5 nights but now thinking we should spend a few nights downtown and then the rest on the beach. Was wondering how inconvenient it is to drive back and forth to downtown if we stay on the beach the whole time? We are big foodies and real don't want to miss out on eating at the better restaurants downtown. Thank you for your input.

Also what do folks think of the Wild Dunes resort? It seems like our best beach option for a nicer place to stay. Any preference to the hotel rooms or their condo units since I see either one is an option. Cheers.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,269 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Charleston area beach vs downtown

In June, your only option at the beach may be a hotel, since most beach rentals go from Saturday/Saturday. You might get lucky to find something for less time, but you would be lucky.

Wild Dunes is an easy drive into Charleston and there are any number of great restaurants in Mt. Pleasant, and on Sullivans Island, as well as IOP. We have friends who take their family of 10 (grandparents, kids and grandkids) to WD for a week every year. I can't say, since I live here I haven't stayed there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Charleston area beach vs downtown

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Charleston area beach vs downtown

I have stayed at Wild Dunes a few times (even once after we moved here) and it is beautiful. The resort is gated and at the tip of the barrier island so there is not a lot of traffic at all yet it's close to some really nice amenities off-resort. Within the resort are a couple of golf courses, marinas, tennis, swimming, and miles of bike or walking trails as well as a lovely beach that is surprisingly not crowded in most areas and at most times.

True you don't have to drive in to Charleston for great dining, but you will want to choose 2-3 nights dining in Charleston anyway. Depending on how close to the gate you are, it might be 10 min to get to Mt. Pleasant (or more if you leave when everyone is going home from the beach). When all the lights are in your favor, I'd say it could take 30 min to get to East Bay St (now that the Mt. Pleasant construction is pretty much finished! - yay!) No matter what, it'll be fun. So much to do - something for everyone.

leftcoast
Level Contributor
280 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Charleston area beach vs downtown

Having just done what you are contemplating (see my post from a few days ago), I'd suggest splitting your stay. I did that - 3 nights in the Historic District and 2 nights in Isle of Palms. Saved the hassle of driving in and dealing with parking. Also, we did a fair amount of walking and sightseeing in the Historic District, so it was handy to go back to our room and get something, or to rest for a bit.

But it isn't too far to drive either - only 20 minutes or so, making it not out of the question to go back and forth. On our last day we had 90 minutes to kill before heading to the airport, so we went back down to the Historic District and drove around for awhile.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Charleston area beach vs downtown

If your primary interest is seeing Charleston and dining in Charleston, I recommend that you stay in the historic district for at least part of your stay. June is a wonderful time to be at the beach (and Wild Dunes is a lovely resort); but, the best way to experience Charleston is to stay in Charleston.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,224 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Charleston area beach vs downtown

I live on IOP year round, prior to that I lived downtown for a number of years. From Wild Dunes, you are looking at approx 30 min to the historic district, more during rush hours. If this is your first visit, I strongly encourage you to stay at least part of the time downtown. It's so convenient to be able to just walk out and eat, sightsee, etc without having to drive anywhere, find parking, etc. While there are some good restaurants in Mt. Pleasant and the islands... in my honest opinion, there is nothing that really compares to the best restaurants downtown. Next time go for staying at the beach the whole trip. :-)

Edited: 25 January 2013, 04:31
7. Re: 5 nights in Charleston area beach vs downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 05:18