We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broiled or Roasted Oysters

Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Broiled or Roasted Oysters

I will be visiting Charleston in late February and am looking for restaurants that serve either broiled or roasted oysters in the shell, I don't care for raw or steamed oysters. I will be staying at Folly Beach so traveling will not be a problem. Thanks and looking forwrd to my visit!

wizjb

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broiled or Roasted Oysters

What we call "roasted" oysters are roasted/steamed in their shells - in a pit, over a hot wood fire and covered with thick wet blankets to create the steam. Might be a bit different from the steaming you were thinking of. The oysters are absolutely delicious - fully cooked, but without losing their moisture, texture, or character

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broiled or Roasted Oysters

Very near Folly is Bowen's Island..... that is the spot to go!!

www.bowensislandrestaurant.com

Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Broiled or Roasted Oysters

Thanks, I guess I thought roasted oysters were actually roasted in an oven or over a fire, not steamed. I really like oysters that are firm, similar to steamed clams.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broiled or Roasted Oysters

Anson has roasted oysters on their current menu.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broiled or Roasted Oysters

Our roasted oyster ARE roasted on a grate over an open fire, but they also have a large wet blanket on them to prevent them drying out too much. Some will be fairly dry inside, some will still be fairly wet.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 22:12
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broiled or Roasted Oysters

You could try fried oysters.

Most every good restaurant in Charleston does delicious fried oysters in a light batter crust. The fried oysters will be plump and soft on the inside ... not so firm as a fried clam, but also not wet and slippery.

Or, you could stick to fried, broiled or boiled local shrimp. Yummy!

Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Broiled or Roasted Oysters

Thanks for all your replies. I'm looking forward to the oysters now that I know how they are prepared! Wet and slippery... not so good! Boiled/broiled shrimp are very tasty also. Thanks.

8. Re: Broiled or Roasted Oysters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 06:19