We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April or June

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
387 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
April or June

Thinking about going to the Charleston area in either beginning of April or beginning of June. Which would be best for weather and less crowds. Don't like rain - get enough of it in the UK.........

Also reading reviews should we miss out Savannah and stay in Charleston longer and visit Myrtle Beach?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,502 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April or June

April is a lovely month in Charleston, more flowers are blooming and it is not as hot. Neither month is particularly rainy. April is a busy time here, but the schools will not be out for summer yet, so will be less crowded than June. Savannah is not as large and has less to see and do. How long is your trip? You could do a day visit to Savannah if you start early. If you are interested in beaches, you can do that in Charleston (the Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island and Folly Beach) Myrtle Beach is very touristy, with lots of mini golf, t-shirt shops, souvenir shops, etc It will be more crowded than Charleston. Personally, I would skip M. Beach. If you are traveling with children, they are lots of activities for kids there.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
387 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April or June

We would only be coming for one week and we won't be travelling with kids as we are in our 50's - we like music and sightseeing. The first two weeks of April are our easter holidays so it is interesting that you say June will be busier than April.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,502 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April or June

There are also a couple of towns closer to Charleston (than Savannah & M. Beach) that you might want to consider visiting.

Beaufort, SC and Georgetown, SC

www.beaufort.com

www.seaportgeorgetown.com

www.scmaritimemuseum.org

www.kaminskihousemuseum.org

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April or June

The first week of April will be spring break for many students, but not all. Spring break season begins in mid-March and runs through mid-April.

Local schools are in session through the first week of June, and schools in many other states are in session through mid-June.

If you are interested primarily in sightseeing, come in April, when temps are more moderate. If you want to do any swimming at the beach, come in June, when the water is warmer.

There is plenty to do in the Charleston area to keep you busy for the whole week, but if you want to see more, follow Endo's advice.

Check out the Charleston Visitors Bureau website for an overview of all there is to see and do in the area. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,502 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April or June

Easter break in the states is only 1 week and varies with the location ~ the week before or week after. Most colleges have their spring break in March. Don't get me wrong.... April is busy, but not as much as once the schools are out and families start vacationing.

PS ~ last line of my first post should have read...."they HAVE lots of activities for kids." :-)

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April or June

June weather can be delightful but it's sometimes brutal. Don't worry about rain in either month.

I like Savannah very much and think it's easily worth two or three days. Split your time between the two cities, a little more time in Charleston.

Georgetown and Beaufort are both good half-day tours from Charleston but you're looking at an hour to hour and a half each way, vs. about two hours to Savannah.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
387 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April or June

Thank for your replies. A bit torn now - between 1st weeks in april and first week in June. Georgetown and Beaufort sound nice - a pity we can't come for longer..............

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,502 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April or June

No worries...... just plan a return trip. :-D

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April or June

We go for the first week in April, have for the past several years... LOVE it! Not too crowded, weather is beautiful, flowers are in bloom... and as much as everyone always complains about parking, etc, in Charleston, we've never had a problem!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: April or June

BIG BIG BIG CAUTION on going the first week of April, April 6th is the Charleston Bridge run, This is a HUGE event, over 40,000 runners + their friends, family, and our usual visitors will be in the city. Some roads and obviously the bridge will be closed for quite a while during and after the race.

Restaurants will be packed and most will not be accepting any more reservations.

I would highly suggest planning your trip around that date.

When I lived in Charleston, I would always plan a little trip away that weekend. It gets crazy.

Of course if your looking for that, then disregard me :)