We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enought Time in Charleston??

UK
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Enought Time in Charleston??

We will be a couple travelling with a nearly three year old. We were thinking of scheduling a short trip to Charleston into our plans for our April holidays. We would be coming from St. Augustine and would arrive mid afternoon/early evening on Day 1, have a full day on Day 2 and would need to leave after lunch/mid afternoon on Day 3.

We would like to spend some time at the Children's Museum, the Charleston Waterfront & Fort Sumter as well as generally wander about and take in the atmosphere/visit a few Heritage Houses.

Does this sound doable? Does anyone have any suggestions on which of the historic houses/plantations would be best to visit with a pre-schooler or indeed have any other suggestions on places where he might like to go.

Edited to add that our days will be Fri/Sat/Sun.

Thanks

Gx

Edited: 15 February 2013, 20:05
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enought Time in Charleston??

Depending upon your time and route, on your way into Charleston, stop by The Angel Oak tree for some wonderful photo ops of your little one with the ancient tree - http://www.angeloaktree.com/

In Charleston, your son will enjoy a carriage tour. If the weather is rainy, go to the aquarium.

In terms of historic homes and plantations, Middleton Place probably offers the most things of interest to a pre-schooler ... farm animals, engaging crafters, plenty of space to move around, etc.

Enjoy your trip! I am sure you will want to return when your son is older.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enought Time in Charleston??

I agree with the aquarium. Our 3-year old loved it. It's not cheap though.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enought Time in Charleston??

Do your plantation day on the day you return to St. Augustine, then head home from there. Yes, Middleton is the one to visit w/your little one.

Maybe skip Ft. Sumter and just do the carriage ride, Waterfront Park and the Children's Museum, then wander beyond that. If you need some time on the water, take the water taxi over to Mt. Pleasant and back, quick and easy.

More time in Charleston is always wonderful, this will give you a taste and you will want to come back.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,917 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enought Time in Charleston??

I would skip Ft. Sumter, you only get there by boat and it will take up a good bit of your time. ie- getting the tickets, waiting to board, getting to the island and back, etc I think it just takes up too much time when you have a brief visit like yours.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enought Time in Charleston??

I don't think I'd take a 2-year-old on carriage tour. He/she would probably much prefer a visit to Palmetto Carriage's Big Red Barn, where he could see some of the animals.

The Children's Museum, Aquarium, and a ride on the water taxi are great for toddlers.

UK
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enought Time in Charleston??

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Iowa
Level Contributor
145 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enought Time in Charleston??

If it is a warm day, allow plenty of time for playing in the fountains at Waterfront Park! This was our kids' #1 fun thing to do (when they were little) in Charleston! Fun & free and right next to the Belgian Gelato shop!

8. Re: Enought Time in Charleston??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 07:16