We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic Home Tour

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fayetteville, TX
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Historic Home Tour

We would like to tour at least two of the historic homes/plantations during our visit to Charleston. Dates: Sunday, February 24 thru Tuesday, February 26. Which would you recommend?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,521 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historic Home Tour

Of the plantations, the only one with the original house is Drayton Hall, dating to 1738. It is my personal favorite, even tho the house is "maintained" rather than "restored". Meaning it is not repainted and filled with furniture, etc.

Drayton Hall and Middleton are very close to one another, could easily do both in a half day, more if you spend lots of time there.

www.draytonhall.org

www.middletonplace.org

Of course, there are the downtown historic museum homes to consider as well.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historic Home Tour

I agree w/Endo, MP and DH are great to do together, but with the short time you are going to be in town, you might want to stick to a few of the historic houses that are in the Historic District, such as Edmonston-Alston and Rhett-Aiken.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,521 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Historic Home Tour

I agree, do the things in the Historic District first. If you have additional time before you leave..... do the out lying plantations.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Historic Home Tour

If you stay in the HD, I would suggest the Nathaniel Russell house and the Edmonston Alston Houses. Both are very nice.

For a plantation, go to Middleton Place. It is beautiful and the house is furnished in original family pieces of art and furnishings dating back to the 1600s. You might consider doing MP and Edmonston Alston House and purchase a combo ticket (available at either one) for a discount. If you intend to tour other places as well, the Heritage Passport is a good option and is available at the Visitors Center.

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
13 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Historic Home Tour

How "accessible" are these properties? My wife does not do well on stairs... a few are OK, but up and down a lot of stairs would be a real 'pain'.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Historic Home Tour

These are all old houses, narrow stairs and of course, no elevators.

ADA wasn't around when they were built :-)

7. Re: Historic Home Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 05:15