We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit in March

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Topic
First Visit in March

Hi. I am planning a trip to Charleston in March. I'm thinking of coming for 4 or 5 days. Either Saturday March 16-WEdnesday March 20, or Sunday-Thursday. I'm a single, 40-something guy from NYC traveling solo.

So a few questions:

1. Do people recommend coming on Saturday? Is there more going on on a Saturday night than other nights of the week?

2. If I don't stay in the Historic District, can you recommend other areas to stay

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit in March

In 1920, Alfred Hutty telegraphd his wife "come quickly have found heaven."

In 2012, Conde Nast, whoever he might be, declared Charleston the No. 1 destination.

So - what can we tell you to help you plan your trip? What are you looking for?

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit in March

let's see:

Absorbing the local culture; getting a taste of the south.

I'm sure I would like a plantation; Fort Sumter

I will rent a car, and I do like to take drives

Love walks.

Wildlife

Parks

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit in March

AndI suppose a suggestion for number of days to visit

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit in March

Charleston is a historic city on a small peninsula. The number of days is: a lifetime. If you want walks, wildlife, and driving, Charleston might not be for you.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit in March

I guess your number of days depends on what you want to do.

Since it's your first time I recommend you stay in the Historic District. You can enjoy walking around the HD and not having to worry about parking.

For wildlife, the Aquarium, Center for Birds of Prey, Bull Island (you have to take a boat and here's nothing here except wildlife and maybe a couple of other people: http://www.coastalexpeditions.com/), Beidler Forest, Francis Marion forest and of course, shore birds at the beaches. Take a kayak tour with Ralph: http://www.kayakcharleston.net/

Can't help you with the Saturday thing. Check flights and hotels and see if they aren't cheaper if you stay over a Saturday night.

Just like you can't get a taste of NYC in a few days, you sure can't get a taste of the entire South. But you can enjoy Charleston.

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit in March

Thanks. From looking at other posts, I think I could put together a nice relaxing 3 or 4 days in Charleston

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit in March

I think you totally could. As you search for a hotel, make sure it's in the HD. With such a short time, you'll want to cut down on driving and parking time. If you want to rent a car for just a day, Enterprise will deliver one to your hotel. Visiting one of the planations is ime consuming so keep that in mind. If the weather is nice drive out to the beach.

Enjoy your trip!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit in March

I would say 3 days as a bare minimum. 5 or 6 would be better if you want to have time to adequately explore the historic district AND visit plantations, Ft. Sumter (you can only go by boat, will take up most of a half day), do the nature stuff (Francis Beidler Forest, Center for Birds of Prey, kayak trip, eco-nature tour, etc). There are more fantastic restaurants downtown (written up in many national publications) than you can shake a stick at, most will require dinner reservations a week (or much more) in advance, unless you want to eat dinner at 5:30 or 10 pm.

www.draytonhall.org

www.middletonplace.org

www.historiccharleston.org

www.nature-tours.com

www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org

www.beidlerforest.audobon.org

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit in March

Opportunity for lots of walking in the HD and the Waterfront Park is marvelous.

Tour several of the historic houses, visit the churches and their cemetaries, take a carriage ride (first thing to orient yourself), make reservations for several of our top-notch restaurants. All this is right there, if you stay in the HD (again,most advisible).

Nature is easy by booking a kayak trip w/our friend Ralph, he's great, even for beginners...

www.kayakcharleston.net

Drive to Middleton Plantation and Drayton Hall for a long morning, then swing by the Angel Oak and possibly the Tea Plantation and the Irvin Vineyard/Firefly Distillery to round out your day.

At LEAST 3 days, preferably more.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit in March

Beidler Forest is great. Its just about an hour outside of Charleston, but if the waters right you can take a kayak paddle through the swamp ... it's fascinating... they offer 1/2 day trips with a wild-life guide. The water (believe it or not) is crystal clear.

You may also like walking along the beach at Sullivans Island. At low tide you'll see lots of tide pools, sea and estuary birds, and low tide sea creatures. Sullivans has a lovely undeveloped shoreline ... and the added benefits of lots of great eateries and pubs like Poes Tavern and Atlanticville ... it's laid back but classy all at once.

Most vistors seem to like arriving on Friday night (if possible) giving themselves time to settle in ready for Saturday happenings ... but the town already starts "going out" and 'happening" on Thursday night ... just check out the events page in Charleston City Paper a week or so before you come in to see which Galleries are holding opening, and what else is going on.

You won't be bored unless you want to be! That's a promise :-)