We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really stumped on where to stay?? Please help!

Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Really stumped on where to stay?? Please help!

Hi,

We will be traveling to the Charleston-area for a week in mid-May. I am really stumped on where to stay. We have two children, five and two, who will be with us and we love the beach, biking, exploring, eating seafood, and relaxing. My husband and I have been to Charleston before and love it, but we were only there for two days. Where do we stay? Edisto, Folly, IOP? We will definitely be taking some day trips to Charleston and possibly a plantation, so I want to be fairly close by. Any suggestions and areas to check out would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Really stumped on where to stay?? Please help!

my pick would be IOP. Great family beach and very close to Mt Pleasant and Downtown Charleston.

Folly is a good pick too, but driving into downtown Charleston from Folly is a PAIN. Horrible traffic and maybe not the best for the kids, It can get a little "spring breaky" out there ya know?

Edisto...is further way, a good deal out actually, however if your looking for a very natural area, then Edisto is a good pick.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really stumped on where to stay?? Please help!

I would suggest the Isle of Palms also. Edisto is over 1 hour from downtown Charleston. May is a very busy time in Charleston, you need to book something soon! Please look for the post "Very busy weekends in May" on the Charleston Forum ~ will give you an idea of the events that will cause major crowding.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really stumped on where to stay?? Please help!

For young children, consider Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island - very family oriented, lots of natural open space, and broad firm beach with shallow slope into the water. Kiawah and Seabrook are further from the historic district than IOP (IOP is 20 minutes; Kiawah and Seabrood are 45 minutes), but are closer in driving time to the Ashley River plantations than any of the other Charleston beaches.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Really stumped on where to stay?? Please help!

Book quickly. Like endo said, it's a busy time.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really stumped on where to stay?? Please help!

I suggest IoP.

On another note, I echo the others when they say "book soon!" Just booked a week in May and the prices were 2-3x higher for some properties verses other times of year. Very low availability, too. Some hotels are limited in the types of rooms/beds they have to offer. I've booked many times in May, but this was the first year Vendue Inn told me a room would be 3x what it was when I was there last month, and they're completely out of King rooms for the end of May.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 23:43
Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Really stumped on where to stay?? Please help!

Thank you everyone! I will be booking soon; I didn't realize it would be so busy in May!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really stumped on where to stay?? Please help!

May is easily the busiest month of the year in Charleston. Spoleto Festival USA is May 24-June 9. It's also one of the prettiest months, weather wise.

Edited: 19 March 2013, 01:05
8. Re: Really stumped on where to stay?? Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 04:17