We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

…nationalgeographic.com/2013/…

A local Charlestonian shares his favorite things about Charleston. First time visitors may want to check out this link for some tips. I'm also curious to hear Destination Experts' reactions to this profile of the Holy City.

Full disclosure: I went to college with Barrett, the contributor of this blog entry.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

I'm no DE, but I agree about Bull Streets chicken salad sandwich. Ill one-up him though...the chicken Caesar salad sandwich is where it's at! (Also, Bull St isn't the first place I take people).

I disagree about the Battery being THE place to spend outdoor time. I'm theory, sure. In practice, not so much.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

I loved the article! In a short space and some well-chosen bullet points, Barrett Caldwell captures the complexity, comedy, and depth of the Charleston experience... reminding me again of why Charleston is my adopted city, where I spend the better part of eight months each year, and why I miss it so much during the remaining four months.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

My husband and I are visiting for the first time in June, celebrating our wedding anniversary.

Thanks for sharing the article. But I have to ask...what is the BEST kept secret??

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

Not tellin', lol.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

It's really not a secret, but many summertime visitors seem unaware of the advantage of walking on the shady side of the street.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

Another "not-so-secret" tip:

Stylish Charlestonians dress for the weather and for the terrain. Nothing screams "tourist" more loudly than someone who is too tightly laced up or over layered for comfort!

Constant humidity (even in winter, but especially in summer) makes loose fitting cotton a good choice. I like capri pants, but many Charleston ladies wear floaty skirts in summer to let in the air. Men wear khakis or linen trousers with cotton/linen button-down shirts or golf shirts. (Socks and ties not required!) An easily removable light wrap - sport jacket for men or shawl for ladies - helps ward off the chill of air conditioning when you come in from the humid heat. If you enjoy wearing sun hats, Charleston is the place to wear them ... more to create shade than for fashion. And, you'll want sunglasses everyday, at all times of year.

Comfortable footwear is a must for uneven sidewalks and cobblestones. Shoes that will hold up when a sudden downpour floods the HD streets are desirable. Men wear a lot of "boat shoes", and some wear nice sandals. Ladies wear sandals and flats. I've accumulated a supply of the new designer "jelly flats", specifically for Charleston; they look dressy, and I don't have to worry about the rain. I also enjoy wearing "FitFlops" (smart-looking, ergonomic, cushion-soled, English derivative of flipflops) for heavy-duty walking around Charleston.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

Not really a secret, just an observation (and sort of a tip?)...

Too few people (that I've met/talked to) walk the streets around CofC...Monatagu, Bull, Smith, Beaufain, Wentworth, i.e. "Harleston Village." These are some of the prettiest streets in Charleston, in my opinion. Lots of functional corner stores, lots of pretty homes, lots of college life, etc. Definitely worth seeing.

Also, Limehouse, Lenwood, Greenhill, Council, Tradd, Colonial, Gibbes...these are gorgeous walking streets where you get to see actual Charlestonians living (playing with their kids, sitting on their porch, etc). I'm not saying the more visited parts of Charleston are void of actual Charlestonians...I'm just saying these streets offer a clearer picture of Charleston life.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

Why thank you so much for taking the time to offer these insider tips. I *really* do appreciate it.

I'm from Boston (born and raised) and I love your southern grace.

:)

Can't wait to visit low country!

-Marie

9. Re: Charleston featured in National Geographic Traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 05:16