We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Sumter

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Sumter

It seems there are several times and places to get to the Fort. Any ideas aas to wehat is best? We have one person who isn't good on stairs. Is this a problem? How long will it take to go through the fort? We also plan on flying into Charleston, renting a car, then when we are done, we want to drive across state to Greenville, where we will be visiting relatives. After that we will drive our rental car to Charlotte, NC, and fly out to Kansas City. Do you see any problems doing that?

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Sumter

I think with the stair issue you will be good, not too bad.

What time you want to go really depends on when you are going though, going in the early morning would be the best if you are going in late spring or the summertime because it will get very very very hot.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Sumter

The best time to go should be determined by the needs of your group.

I agree, the person who doesn't do stairs well will probably be ok.

There shouldn't be any problems driving from city to city.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Sumter

Thanks for the information.

We plan on going the first week of June, and probably staying on Patriot Point so we can be close to the boat for Fort Sumter. We are going to be in Charleston at least a day and a half. Not much time, I know, but we are going to hit those things we are most interested this time, and get a better idea of what to see next time!

There will be three of us; myself, my wife (who has the problem with a lot of stairs,), and my 23-year-old son.

And how would the weather be then? Hoping we miss hurricane weather!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Sumter

First week of June is likely to be very hot. Go to Fort Sumter in the morning. The National Park Service owns & manages it, so accessibility is good. You can drive to Fort Moultrie on Sullivans Island, also NPS. They have an air-conditioned visitor center, also good accessibility.

If a hurricane is coming, there will be at least a week of hysterical warnings.

First week of June is Spoleto Festival. The concurrent Piccolo Spoleto has many free or inexpensive performances and concerts throughout Charleston. At 5PM, there's no better way to cool off than sitting in a 19th century church listening to music - folk, gospel, or classical.

5. Re: Fort Sumter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 06:17