We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
La Grange, Texas...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

My husband and I have a planned trip this weekend(yikes) and I have been searching TA for help on planning. We are interested in good LOCAL flavor, live music(southern rock, blues, country), good bars. We really aren't looking to spend a huge portion of our vacation budget eating at fancy restaurants but are wanting to try the regional flavor($10-20pp,not including alcohol/apptz). Our MAIN goal is to spend time together and will have a great time no matter what we do, so any suggestions are welcome! We arrive in Savannah around noon on Friday, we will have a car. Our only plans so far are to be there until Saturday when we will drive to Charleston and leave Charleston on Monday around noon. We(read me) love the beach/water and would really like some sort of activity( at least one) around the coast(NOT HHI). We have already booked our hotels, and unfortunatly we aren't in the HD of either town, but it really isn't a huge issue for us because again, didn't want to spend most of our money on a place to lay our head(plus my hubby doesn't drink, so he is the DD). We are both in fairly decent shape, so parking and walking is not an issue(we have walked the Houston downtown area many times!) Thanks in advance for all of your help and suggestions! Also, the weather down here in Texas has been kindof weird(lows in the 40's in April almost May???), do y'all think we may need a light jacket for our trip up to the south?

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

It has been strangely cool around here this spring, looking out my window now its cloudy and in the 50s, blech!

The forecast though for this weekend looks awesome. I don't think you'll need anything.

For the food, as long as you skip all the trendy places you'll be good, those places are way over hyped by the yanks anyway.

Be helpful to know what kind of local flavor your looking for, can narrow it down from there (Seafood, BBQ, soul food, etc)

For beaches, Charleston has awesome beaches, check out Isle of Palms (Great rooftop bar restaurant there with live music, Coconut Joes. Food is just okay but such a fun place to hang out, right on the ocean too.

Sullivans Island also has a great scene going on as well but those folks are a bit more uptight than Isle of Palms. Check out Poes on Sullivans, great bar, people watching and some really awesome burgers, good bit of nightlife too.

Folly Beach is also another option as well, some fun places to hang out there.

Don't blame you for skipping HHI, blech what a place this is.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

Be aware that the SC BBQ is very different from Texas BBQ. Do SNOB at lunch at Jestine's Kitchen but go early to avoid the line.

What part of town are you staying so we can help you pick other convenient places to eat?

La Grange, Texas...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

We love all foods! My husband isn't a fan of mustard based bbq sauces but he will be fine;) Our hotel location in Charleston is by the airport(my husbands fiscal conservatism) but it is a Doubletree so it's not a dive. I don't expect many great places close to the hotel since it is by the airport. We do love to people watch, so anyplace good for that entertainment is fab too!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

not liking mustard BBQ? Thats a sin right there! (just kidding!)

I forgot to mention, Check out Red's Ice House on Shem Creek, awesome super fun place to hang out. Wife and I like to go there and grab some drinks after work and just hang out. They have live music too at night.

You're correct where your staying at there is nothing really around that area and North Charleston is sketchy as heck. Doubletree will be good though.

La Grange, Texas...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

I had read not to go farther than the outlet malls and we have no desire to do that. Reds sounds like a great time!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

There are some good restaurants in the Park Circle area of North Charleston. Don't overlook http://evopizza.com/. That area is gentrifying rapidly, with several "urban pioneer" galleries along East Montague Avenue.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 19:49
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

I agree. If you're staying up there be sure to go to EVO.

La Grange, Texas...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

I told my husband about Evo, he's happy to eat pizza instead of lima beans and collards! Where do y'all think has the best chicken and waffles? We have never eaten that but it sounds like a meal brought from the Heavens on angel wings!

La Grange, Texas...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

We just changed our plans and decided with our limited time to do our whole vacation in Charleston!! So any other suggestions are certainly welcome!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Savannah 1 day Charleston 3 days: need itinerary help please

Chicken and waffles is a new invention, a chain-store way to capitalize on the foodie fad of adding fried meat to any dish. Disgusting, and nothing to do with this area. Both my grandmothers had waffle irons. Hot waffles smothered in cane syrup, with a slice of cheddar cheese beside.

For entertainment, look at Charleston City Paper and Charleston Scene, both online.

Yemassee SC is halfway between Savannah and Charleston. Ray's Rib King is honest lowcountry BBQ. Harold's Cabin is honest home cooking. At either place you might run into a movie star and a bunch of linemen from North Carolina.