We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

United States
Level Contributor
18 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

Hello,

We will be traveling to Charleston, SC with our 10-month old baby. Not sure where to stay, would not pay $300/night though. Hotel has to be IMPECCABLY CLEAN and in a safe area, no compromise on these two things. We would like to be able to walk to historic district, we do not mind walking, even if a lot, but has to be a safe walk.

Could you please recommend some hotels based on your stay? I did my research here and would think about P Inn ( small rooms seem to be an issue though) and HI Ashely or Downtown. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

Unless you stay in a hotel listed as 'historic district" you will not be in walking distance to anything. With a child that small, you need to be able to go back to your hotel room as needed. Any other part of town and you will have to drive in and pay to park in a garage.

HI Ashley is not in the historic district, it is in West Ashley. Don't know what "P inn" is.

United States
Level Contributor
18 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

Thank you very much for your reply.

I made a mistake, the other place I meant was "Andrew Pinckney Inn".

Any other suggestions? For the HI Ashley location, would that still be an option though? The reviews are good and it seems like a very clean place. We don't mind walking as long as it is a safe walk, or taking public transposition.

Thank you.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

From West Ashley, you will need to drive into the HD and park. Parking is not difficult, and there are many well located and safe garages; however, the inconvenience of travel may be stressful with a 10-month-old. Public transportation is not a viable option.

Look for a hotel in the "historic district". The Andrew Pinkney Inn is in the historic district, but there are many others. If you can give us an idea of your budget, we may have specific suggestions.

Keep in mind that "downtown" is NOT the same thing as "historic district". Some "downtown" options are just as inconvenient as West Ashley in terms of ease of movement in and out of the HD.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 19:02
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

If by "Ashley" you mean the HI Riverview, it is 4 miles from the historic district, along very busy roads with little sidewalk, too far to walk. Public transportation here is unreliable, buses may or may not show up when they are supposed to. Taxi's do not drive around looking for fares, you must call for one, wait on it to arrive (10-45 min) and then do the same on the return. Every now and then it never shows up. That hotel might have a shuttle bus, you can look into that and see if they charge, etc. The Andrew Pinckney would be a MUCH better option. Have you looked into the Best Western King Charles Inn? Usually reasonably priced and in the historic district.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

It would be nice if, as well as price, you would give us some idea of when you plan to visit. Time of year affects lodging rates greatly.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

With a 10 month old I'd really suggest not visiting in the summer, maybe postpone to fall/winter/very early spring

The heat gets the adults cranky enough as it is, let alone a baby!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

I wouldn't worry about summer with a baby. Yes, it's hot, but our daughter managed to survive 13 summers here! I survived many, many, many more. Just use common sense, and you'll be fine.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

Our daughters survived summers in Charleston, too, and grew up to be dedicated, hot-weather people!

From my personal experience: Be cautious of the sun; hat and shades for baby are more than fashion statements. Make sure baby stays well hydrated; babies and small children often don't realize (and don't let their parents know) when they should be thirsty. Duck into shade (and air conditioning!) on a regular basis.

United States
Level Contributor
18 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

Thank you All for trying to help. I would spend around $200/night for a nice place closer to the historical district. My biggest concern is cleanliness of the room and safe neighborhood where we can walk with the baby. It seems like the properties in the historical district are more pricey. Personally, I had a bad experience with Best Western and I don't think I want to give them another try.

I read about the HI Historic Downtown (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g54171-d2556291…) but I am not sure what to do...it seems like the reviews show that it is very clean, but the location (in terms of safety) does not seem the best. I wish I could "visualize" around the hotel and decide whether between 8am and 7pm we could walk around with the baby. Also, it looks like the walk (distance) is not bad to the main streets. Can you please confirm if you stayed here or know the location first hand?

THANK YOU!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charleston with a 10-month baby--where to stay?

Please be assured that all hotels in downtown Charleston are situated safely enough to walk around in daylight hours.