We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans area to Charleston?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Orleans area to Charleston?

I'll be driving to Isle of Palms later this month and was wondering which would be the easiest route. I am a fifty-something female and will be driving solo. My problem is deciding which route would be best.

I am planning on taking two days and am also interested in a good overnight stopping point. I am bringing a fair amount of food along (we have a condo) and would like a suite-type hotel with a full fridge, something like a Homewood or Staybridge. I'm not planning on doing any sightseeing along the way, just want the easiest drive.

Thanks in advance!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans area to Charleston?

Easiest drive is I-10 to Jacksonville, hop on 95 in Jacksonville to Exit 33 (Highway 17) in SC. Take 17 all the way to downtown Charleston.

Either Pensacola, Tallahassee, or Jacksonville is your best stop.

There's another route that'll shoot you through Birmingham and ATL, but I'm not too sure about that.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans area to Charleston?

I-20 goes through Birmingham & Atlanta. For that route, head up to Jackson, MS and catch it there. When you get to the beltway around Birmingham (?I-620?), take it to avoid Birmingham. It goes through Hoover, Ala. The I-10 route would probably be the best for you.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans area to Charleston?

Stop in Jax. Pensacola is too close to Nola, and Tallahassee is in the middle of nowhere. If you shoot straight and don't make too many stops, you'll hit Jacksonville in around 7 hours. Your next day of driving will be 3-4 hours. I've done the Nola-->CHS drive, and vice versa, many times.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans area to Charleston?

Thanks so much!

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans area to Charleston?

I will agree with Ben and go I-10 and stay the night in Jacksonville. The I-20 route, while a bit more interesting, can be nightmarish if you hit Atlanta traffic. However, if you decide to go that route, Madison, Georgia (1 hour east of Atlanta) is a nice place to stop over.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans area to Charleston?

I've done that drive several times. After I drove around Atlanta once I always did the 10-95-17 route after that.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans area to Charleston?

Thank you so much everyone! I'm definitely goung to take the I 10/95 route. I can't check in at the condo till 4:00 PM so I've decided to break my drive in Tallahassee. It's Memorial Day weekend and Jacksonville is quite a bit more expensive.

8. Re: New Orleans area to Charleston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 07:18