We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

My husband and I are visiting in Sept. I'm looking for a nice hotel within a reasonable price range. I define reasonable based on my research so far around $200 - $250 a night (or at least that is my budget so far.). I want to be in the historic district and will have a car so I'm assuming parking will cost as well. I'm not sure if there is something going on the weekend of Seot. 28th, but prices are crazy (or maybe that's just the cost of the hotels in that area regardless of date?). Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

For historic district, your best bet for that price range is Days Inn on Meeting Street. Typical Days Inn, but great location & free parking.

If you're willing to stay outside historic district, there are several hotels in Mt. Pleasant near the foot of the bridge that are much less. Some have shuttle service to downtown. Otherwise, factor in parking costs if you drive downtown. Just go to google map, put in Patriot Point Rd, Mt. Pleasant, then use the search nearby feature to find the hotels.

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

That is part of peak season for Charleston so it is going to be pretty expensive for the historic district. The Elliott House Inn isn't far out of the budget you mentioned but that is about it at this point. King Charles Inn has free parking but they are a little more expensive for that weekend than Elliott House...not sure how much they charge for parking these days so you might come out ahead by staying at the King Charles.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

The historic district is always expensive. Staying in the HD is "worth it" for convenience and for overall experience.

texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

So sorry for not responding. I'm just now seeing your responses. I thought I was set up to get replies to my email. Guess not! I just assumed my question didn't get any responses. Lol!

Okay so if this is part of peak season what is a reasonable expectation for a descent hotel? I'm not looking for top of the line as I just need a place to stay, but I also don't the lowest of the low either. I'm looking for a good middle of the road that is in the historic district. I'm open for suggestions. Oh and thanks so much for your responses!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

Try the Best Western King Charles Inn. Free parking, great location. If you will be here on week days, prices will be better than the weekend for most hotels. Try using Kayak.com to search your dates.

texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

I think I might try that hotel as I've seen several people recommend it. So another question is I see these hotels offer prepaid packages for things included in the price of your room. Are we better off doing that or doing the research on our own and touring? I just don't know if the packages really have that much value to them or not. Thoughts?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

I would probably skip that. You can go to the Charleston Visitors Bureau and get various discounts, also look into the Heritage Pass for many discounts.

www.charlestoncvb.com

www.heritagefederation.org/passport.html

Pittsburgh, Pa
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

I stayed at the Kings Courtyard Inn during the House and Garden Festival in April. I absolutely loved it there!!! We stayed in room 404 ,ground floor and it was perfect. We never did the free breakfast, but did the free wine and cheese in the evening. Room wasnt huge but was the perfect size. Bed was extremely comfortable! Its right on King street and you can walk everywhere.. in town, to the battery, to the market. They have their own lot behind the hotel, its $12 a day, and you can come and go as much as you want. We didnt drive TOO much, but when we did, we found easily found a parking spot. Some of the other hotels charge 20$ a day or more. Check it out!

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

You should probably be able to find something around $300 per night. Most of the packages in Charleston from a hotel perspective are designed more for convenience than they are for value. You are obviously comfortable with tripadvisor and other resources so I'd recommend just planning your own itinerary.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any reasonably priced hotels in the historic district?

I've stayed at Harborview Inn for less than that when I found it on sale through bookit.com. I've also stayed at Anchorage Inn for $135 a night through Hotwire. The Wyndham property Mills House (formerly Holiday Inn) has also been on sale for the month of June on some websites I've seen. I did notice on Priceline that they have 5 star property on their express deals for at least one weekend in September for $169 a night. To get an idea of Priceline ratings and hotels go to www.betterbidding.com.