We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Do's

New Jersey
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Topic
Must Do's

We are going to Charleston for 3 days in August. What are the "must do's"?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Do's

Hi, the first thing you need to do is look to the right of this page for "Top Questions about Charleston". This will list most of the things considered must do by many people. There is tons of info on what is available to see and do. This will give you a good start, once you have done this we can help you narrow things down or answer specific questions. "What should we do" is too vague of a question to provide answers for when we have no idea what you are interested in, what you like, do you mind walking a lot, what about the heat, etc.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Do's

There are MANY excellent restaurants! They tend to be quite booked up for dinner, year round. I would suggest doing some research on which ones you might enjoy and making reservations a week or more in advance. Will you be staying in the historic district or elsewhere?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Do's

We are two couples (55 to 65) who enjoy sightseeing with some walking. We enjoy going out to eat where the food is good with a nice atmosphere. There seem to be so many wonderful places to see, things to do and interesting restaurants. I feel three days is not enough so we want to hit the highlights. We love the beach but after Charleston we are going to North Myrtle Beach for 10 days. Except the beaches near Charleston sound wonderful too! Thanks for whatever you can recommend.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Do's

. . .and we will be staying in the historic district.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Do's

Again, I suggest the Top Questions section the 3rd entry is "must do on a 1,2,or 3 day visit" and the next is types of tours. These will give you some good ideas and then if you ask "should we do this or that" we can be helpful. :-)

Will you have a car? If not spend all of your time in the historic district, if so ~ you might want to take one day to visit a couple of plantations. To be honest, there is plenty in the historic district to keep you busy the entire time. We almost always suggest that you begin with a carriage ride on your 1st day to get an overview of the area.

Below is a link to a question from someone else, I added many links to sights, etc for them. If you look over that you can check out the various links and see what you like.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28961-i24-k653055…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Do's

Thanks everyone. Really looking forward to our trip.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must Do's

For more up-to-date listings, check the Charleston Visitors Center website at http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/ and also TripAdvisor listings.

Advance NC
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must Do's

You will not go hungry in Charleston......you might consider a restaurant tour...the Friday chef's tour is great. Also if you are there on a Monday night, look into the $5 hamburgers at Cypress. Great way to experience upscale dining on a budget. Took my niece and nephew there a few months ago....hamburgers and hot dogs, side dishes are $2.50, drinks....all for less than $32 for the 3 of us. Consider Vickery's in Mt. Pleasant....nice harbor view, pretty walkway almost out into the harbor...oh yeah, the food is really good too. 3 days is NOT enough time but you will be back.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Must Do's

I agree that there's plenty to do right in town, and I'd skip the area beaches. Besides so many great places to eat, choose some of the historic homes to tour, and plan to spend time walking around and soaking up the atmosphere. You can find various self guided tours, in addition to guided ones. Go to a rooftop bar like at Vendue or Grill 225 for a sunset cocktail too. Window shopping on King St. before lunch, also on King, is a stress free, no crowds or waiting, option.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must Do's

Let me turn the question around. You are considering coming to Charleston - why? What do you want in an expensive historic city at the hottest time of the year?

There are no must-do's.