We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations Always Needed?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations Always Needed?

Calling on the brain trust that is the forum experts!

We are headed to Charleston on June 29th for our much anticipated first visit. I noticed in my research on the forums that reseravations are talked about alot. Should I be (or is too late) making reservations now to places like Hank's, FIG, SNOB, Blossom, etc?

We won't be eating "white tablecloth" every night and would like to drop in spontaneously to more casual eateries some nights or will that be possible?

As always thanks for your help!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

Yes, we're not kidding, do make reservations for the places that are most important to you and make them now.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

You will need reservations.

Just FYI - avoid any place that hawks on the sidewalk. The really good places do not need to get business in this manner.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

Ok, hopefully I'm not too late. I always stray from hawkers for that reason SCBlossom, well that and the fact that they are horribly annoying:)

Will be able to drop in on less popular restaurants or no?

Thanks so much.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

Yes, yes, yes!! You need the reservations, it might already be too late for FIG. You can always make multiple reservations and cancel the ones you decide you do not need. However, do remember to cancel!

What are you considering as the more casual places? and we can tell you if you need a reservation there. The drawback being that you may get there and they say you will have to wait an hour or more or that they just can't get you in at all. It's a bummer, b/c it is hard to do things spontaneously now, especially in the summer when tourism is so high.

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

Agree with everyone here. Can depend on when you like to eat though you could get lucky early and late, especially during the week but if you are looking for 7pm on a Friday rest assured so is everybody else.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

Ok, just booked SNOB and working on the rest. That's a bummer that we can't just drop in on places, but an hour wait wouldn't bother us too much and we would expect it actually. Not sure about where to go frankly for more casual fare but still going through the suggestions on the forum.

As always, the experts rock! TA experts are invaluable to me:)

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

Forgot to ask we always use Open Table, assume that works?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

Yep, Open Table works just fine.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

I use it all the time and find it useful.

You might be able to drop in at Blossom, Magnolia's, or Anson. But FIG is really popular. You MIGHT be able to get seats at the bar if you go early.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

Fig has a big round table for 7 or 8 people just inside the front door. They let people sit and eat there who show up without reservations. You share the table with other people who come without reservations, so it isn't your own private table. Sharing the table can be an extra dimension of fun depending on who else is sitting there. I think Fig is overpriced, but the place is currently popular and fills up so they can charge whatever they want to. The house wine was nice but if I had known it was $15 a glass, I wouldn't have ordered it. The food was likewise expensive. You can eat just as well in multiple other restaurants in town for half the price.

Spirit