We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
hello from Ireland

We are travelling to South Carolina in mid July. We are looking at Greenville, Charleston or Myrtle Beach. Hubby and Son (age 12) want to get some golfing in and hopefully some lessons too, and of course some shopping for me. Are there are hotel/golf resorts that would offer golf clinics for adults and kids within easy reach of shopping?? Which area is best ? Golf aside, what else is good for a 12 year old boy ? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
789 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hello from Ireland

Hi VOVA. There are a couple of excellent golf resorts in the Charleston area. Kiawah, and Wild Dunes. Kiawah is one of the best golf resorts in the country (the PGA literally plays tournaments on these courses). Kiawah is about 45 minutes to an hour from Charleston depending on traffic so it would fit the bill for golf it might lack some of the shopping opportunities you are interested in....our other destination experts can correct me if I am wrong about the shopping. Wild Dunes is significantly closer to Charleston and is located on the Isle of Palms. I am sure both of these offer golf lessons.

Which area is best? Well this is the Charleston forum so I would say Charleston out of those areas but you might get a different answer on the Greenville or Myrtle Beach forums.

As far as other activities for a 12 year old boy it really depends on his interests. There are a lot of opportunities for water-related activities here...boat tours, kayaking, eco-tours, fishin'.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hello from Ireland

Unless you're interested in a side trip to the mountains, you won't find much in Greenville. Myrtle Beach is very "toursity," but does offer golf. LOTS to do in Charleston... history, golf, all kinds of water activities... and some of the best restaurants in the country.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hello from Ireland

Wild Dunes is a gated community on the Isle of Palms (where I live) and is about 20-25 min from historic downtown. Mt. Pleasant is only about 10 min away and will also have shopping, restaurants, etc. The island has minimal shopping and restaurants. Your son could play in the ocean and I also suggest the activities that JT mentioned above. If he is interested in military history, Patriot's Point has several ships to tour, including the US Yorktown aircraft carrier, which was involved in the Battle of Midway in WWII. I also agree that Myrtle Beach is very touristy (tacky in my opinion) with tons of t-shirt shops and putt-putt golf everywhere. Also, very crowded in summer.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hello from Ireland

Kiawah might also fit your needs, as JT states, there is shopping, but not tons of it, otherwise, Kiawah meets all your specs.

We are just 45 minutes from Charleston, so not a bad drive at all. Lots of outdoor activities, biking is very popular here on our 25 + miles of trails. Kayaking and fishing are also at the top of the list. There are surfing lessons right here that might interest your son.

There are a few shops on the island, but there are lots more fun places to poke around in over at Freshfields Village, which is just off island (we also have outdoor movies on Wednesday night and Friday night live band concerts each week over there).

There are several places here, both on and off the island which offer spa services, if you feel like being pampered while the guys play golf.

Plenty of good restaurants both on and off the island.

Most folks rent a villa/condo with kitchen facilities so some meals can be cooked or easily brought in. We usually had breakfast in, most lunches out and mixed it up with dinners.

I agree w/Endo about MB.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 18:14
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hello from Ireland

Golf clinics and instruction on Kiawah Island are excellent, for children and for adults -

kiawahresort.com/golf/the-golf-learning-cent…

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: hello from Ireland

My vote would be either Wild Dunes or Kiawah, preference would be Kiawah, great great golf there, beaches are natural, there's enough shopping to keep one occupied but its not a Las Vegas type town like Myrtle Beach is.

A 12 year old boy would love Myrtle Beach too though, The Mini golf is super fun, its not real golf its just a silly fun time, there's lots of attractions rides, etc. The downsides are that it can be wild and crowded

I would skip Greenville, other than downtown greenville and the mountains that are nearby there's not much going on, Its not a big tourist destination. (It is a great city to live and work in though)

7. Re: hello from Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 06:17