We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rutledge Avenue Inn location

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Rutledge Avenue Inn location

Have read some good reviews and for two couples looks accommodating. However, several people have mentioned a questionable location. Need some advice as this will be our first visit. Husband not a canopy bed or hotel chain type.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rutledge Avenue Inn location

The Rutledge Avenue in is located north and west of the main attractions of the "historic district'. Although the inn itself looks very nice, it is too far to walk - especially in the heat and humidity of summer - to most things you will want to see and do as first-time visitors.

There are some interesting shops and design studios in the inn's neighborhood. (Sugar Bake Bakery, mentioned in a recent trip report, is one of my favorites!) However, the neighborhood as a whole is "in transition". I would advise you DO NOT walk back to the inn or stroll around the area of the inn at night.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rutledge Avenue Inn location

I don't think it's a particularly convenient location for visiting Charleston.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rutledge Avenue Inn location

Hi, you mention the "historic district", where exactly is it?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rutledge Avenue Inn location

Matt, are you asking where the Historic District is in Charleston?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rutledge Avenue Inn location

Yes.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rutledge Avenue Inn location

Roughly, the HD is south of Calhoun and east of King Streets on the peninsula.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rutledge Avenue Inn location

Here's a map that might help a little.

sciway.net/maps/downtown-charleston-south-ca…

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rutledge Avenue Inn location

That helps clarify things, thank you!

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Rutledge Avenue Inn location

I would have to disagree with the June 12th post about safety. We just returned from a four night stay and thoroughly enjoyed our trip. We frequently walked to King Street and other attractions in the historic district as shown on the map from an earlier post. There were always people around walking, which makes a place safer.

I would highly recommend the accommodations here, Matt is very friendly and helpful if you have any questions!

An extra bonus Folly Beach is a 15 minute drive!

Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rutledge Avenue Inn location

I also recently returned from a stay at this property and while I agree that some of the immediately surrounding neighborhood is still "in transition", we had absolutely no safety concerns whatsover. We would stay here again in a heartbeat. My parents, who are in their 70's, also stayed here with us and they walked home from King Street at 10 pm on a weeknight without expressing any concern. If you are looking to be right in the heart of the historic district with all of the shops and bars and restaurants within a few block's radius, this isn't the location for you. it's more of true local neighborhood. It was too far of a walk for my parents to the historic area but they made use of the free DASH shuttle on the corner which took them everywhere they wanted to go. We rented bikes for the week - which I think is the best way to get around Charleston - and we thought the location was great. We biked everywhere, at all hours, in all weather. The property itself was perfect - a true home away from home, with a full kitchen, a beautiful porch, laundry and wonderfully comfortable beds. The awesome Hominy Grill is across the street, we also had a great meal across the street at Fuel and ordered great italian food from the neighborhood joint. A fabulous experience.