We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

Hi all,

My Wife and I have travelled extensively throughout the USA and this year we both have time off after Christmas for a trip so it had to be the USA again. We didn't want to do a big city as a) we normally need a holiday afterwards to recover and b) we have visited most of them so have agreed on a week in Charleston with a car to explore this lovely city and area. We have previously travelled throughout Georgia (been to Savannah and loved it) and dipped our toes into SC with a day trip to Hilton Head but this will be our first proper visit.

I have booked the Hampton Inn at West Ashley on a flexible rate because the HD properties are through the roof cost wise mostly and appreciate this will be a 15min drive into Downtown Charleston. We did similar in Savannah staying in Midtown.

I have managed to answer a lot of questions through the search facility on TA but just wanted to know what New Year activities might be planned for 2013 as we will be there on NYE and NYD (actually from the 28th December for a week). I am guessing quite a bit will be shut on New Years Day so any suggestions for a day out would be appreciated (maybe a nice beach stroll).

I understand our hotel is near a lot of chain restaurants which I don't mind but are there are specific to Charleston worth a go?

Still early days in the planning but really looking forward to this trip.

Any other suggestions for must do's would be appreciated also.

Ju123

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

While not in the HD, The Hampton Inn West Ashley is well located for touring - just off I-526, at the intersection of two major roadways Rt. 17 (Savannah Highway) and Sam Rittenburg Blvd.

Casual local restaurants north of the Hampton Inn along Rt 17 (between your hotel and Charleston) include -

The Glass Onion http://ilovetheglassonion.com/

Bessinger's Barbecue www.bessingersbbq.com/home/default.html

Ye Ole Fashioned Ice Cream www.yeolefashioned.com/savannah_highway.html

South of your hotel on Rt 17, I highly recommend The Angel Oak Restaurant. Dress and ambiance at The Angel Oak are casual, but the food and wine are "fine dining". Excellent stop for a refreshing lunch or dinner while touring. Best to have a reservation at dinner time - http://www.angeloakrestaurant.com/

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

Both Triangle Char & Bar (burgers, wraps, salads, etc.) and Early Bird Diner (featured on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives, Food Network) are also on Savannah Hwy, north of your hotel and south of the city...

http://trianglecharandbar.com/

http://www.earlybirddiner.com/

Both very casual, w/good food.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 15:20
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
165 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

It may be possible to get a room in the Downtown area reasonably this time of year. Downtown is more central - so you can easily go either direction to explore the various beaches, historic sites, gardens and lovely State Parks. And, there's SO MUCH to do within walking distance by staying within the downtown area.

I would also recommend you look up the Charleston City Paper website (and possibly Facebook them) as that will keep you posted on upcoming events as well as restaurant reviews and ratings. Each year, there's numerous events to celebrate the holidays!

Theresa

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

I'd add Ms.Rose's Fine Dining, on Rittenberg, and Pearlz in West Ashley to suggestions already made.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

Thanks to all so far!

There are some excellent tips here already, loving the sound of some of these restaurants just a shame we will only have a week to try and get round them all! We both would love to stay in the HD but with an expensive airfare from Heathrow something has to give and I think it will be the hotel. I doubt we will be in it much to be honest as will be so busy getting around to see everything so somewhere clean and comfortable is all we really need to be honest and I do love the Hampton chain. I will keep looking though as the booking is flexible at the moment.

Great idea Cagney about the newspaper will certainly do that.

Really looking forward to visiting Charleston and the surrounding area. I can't believe it has taken us this long to finally get there.

Keep the tips coming!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

I agree that Hampton Inns are very comfortable! The advantage of a suburban Hampton Inn is that you will have free parking for your car; however, you might also check rates at the Hampton Inn Historic District - …hilton.com/en/…index.html

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

The Hampton in the HD is about another $400 in total over the week and has a $14 daily parking fee. I just think that $500 could be spent better but will definitely keep an eye out to see if there is a deal on.

We currently get a whirlpool included in the Hampton West Ashley hotel. It's the small things you know...... ;)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

You will be very lucky indeed to get to the historic district in 15 min from that location. I think more realistically you should plan for 20 and it can take much longer if there is a fender bender or if it is rush hour. I'm not saying "don't stay there", just being more realistic on time frames. :-)

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

I think you will be fine in West Ashley. Although you will endure the drive into the Historic District, you will have quicker access to the Ashley River plantations; and, should you decide to visit lovely Beaufort for a day, you're already part way there.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Post Christmas and New Year trip from the UK

The week you'll be there, Savannah Hiway traffic won't be like a typical workweek. You'll be fine. You don't have to use Savannah Hiway (US 17) for all your trips. To Mount Pleasant/Sullivans Island you can travel Sam Rittenberg to I26 East and catch the Ravenel Bridge from there.

Pearlz is a good option. For serious local color, a pimento cheeseburger at Gene's Hofbrau House nearby.

Ask again in five months!