We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston/Hilton Head

Suburban Maryland
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston/Hilton Head

Planning a girls getaway at the end of July. There are 4 of us, some like being on the go and sightseeing, some like chilling out and beaches. We will be driving from Maryland. Our thought was to split time between Charleston and Hilton Head, but in reading some of these posts, it looks like we could stay in Charleston and still get to beaches easily. What are your thoughts on this? Also suggestions on where to stay in Charleston would be appreciated!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston/Hilton Head

LOTS more to see and do in Charleston, plus world class restaurants. Area beaches are easy to reach. Best place to stay depends on if you want to spend more time at the beach or sightseeing. Isle of Palms and Folly Beach have hotels. Depending on traffic, both are 20-30 minutes from downtown historic district.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston/Hilton Head

There is no reason to go to Hilton Head, Charleston has way more to offer and also has the beaches. If you want to be within walking distance to restaurants, bars, historic sites, awesome shopping, etc ~ then stay in the historic district. You can easily drive to the beach for a day or afternoon. When looking for hotels be aware that "downtown" and "historic district" are NOT the same thing. Downtown is not in walking distance to much of anything. You want the historic district. Hotels run a scale of prices, what type of price range are you looking for? ($$ amount per night, not "reasonable", that means different things to different people) You need to book something soon, Charleston is very popular and gets booked up early. If you are going to be here less than a week, you will need a hotel. In summer most condos/homes rent for 1 week time frames only, especially out at the beaches.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston/Hilton Head

There is so much to do and see in Charleston that you could live here a life time and not do it all. The beaches are beautiful here and I think the restaurants and shopping is better than HH. Check out Which Beach is Best under the Top Things About Charleston on the far right side of your screen. It will help you decide.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston/Hilton Head

There is no reason to spend any time at HHI. If you want a change of scene one day, go down to Beaufort SC and stroll along Bay street checking out the shops and have lunch on the riverfront. It's about a 90 minute drive straight down US 17.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston/Hilton Head

Hello sbc,

Just stay in Charleston.

I get bored in Hilton Head!

Spirit

Edited: 28 June 2013, 17:03
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston/Hilton Head

Hilton Head is great for a week-long stay inside one of the plantations, but because much of the island is gated, there really isn't much to see or do. I second the offer of perhaps visiting Beaufort for the day. Below is a suggested itinerary for a day trip, should you want a change of scenery to enjoy a beautiful, small-town visit.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c137780/Beaufo…

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston/Hilton Head

Skip HHI for sure, no reason to go down that way really.

Charleston has it all, Great people, good food, history, attractions.

Iif on the crazy chance that you get bored in charleston (impossible!) you can take a day trip down to Beaufort and explore their waterfront/downtown area, very nice area, architecture is nice and the waterfront area has some interesting shops and restaurants. People are really nice too. Lots of southern hospitality at both Beaufort and charleston (Something Hilton Head lacks because of all the yanks)

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston/Hilton Head

HIlton Head is extremely boring. More of a place to own a house and vacation for the whole summer than a place to visit and have fun.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
288 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charleston/Hilton Head

I LOVE Hilton Head, it's one of my favorite places to go during the summer...BUT since you have people who like to be on the go and sight see, I definitely think Charleston fits the bill. If you're looking for tennis, golfing, biking & beach then I'd say Hilton Head but if you want shops, museums, and the like definitely Charleston.

10. Re: Charleston/Hilton Head

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:18