We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston visit

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincroft, New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston visit

I've read many of the forums on Charleston. I know that the best place to stay is the historic district not downtown, for our one day stop here. I'm having a problem determining where that is exactly. Some of the hotels that I've looked at call their location historic downtown. Can someone tell me where the historic district begins and ends. We are looking at Marriot properties. They have 15 hotels in this area. but only two seem to be where we want to be? If some one can help that would be great. We are also looking to make dinner reservations, we arrive Friday 7/19. I have two children ( 12 & 10) who do not eat off a children's menu and appreciate good food. Our budget for dinner is $15-25 per entree. Steaks and seafood are some favs. Thanks to any one that can recommend! :)

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
989 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston visit

Hominy Grill is a good choice in that range, also maybe Coast. I am not sure of HD specific area, but others will be able to answer that.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
989 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston visit

Also Social, and 39 Rue de Jean are in that range and good. There are Mexican, and Thai too, but I would expect you want to experience the best local cuisine.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston visit

Courtyard Charleston HD and the Renaissance Charleston HD are the only 2 that are in the historic district.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston visit

Hello cath,

Get out your map of Charleston and draw a line across it a few blocks north of Calhoun Street. Most everything under that line is Historic District where you will want to be; and the densest part of that is the eastern/southeastern part. (If you stay way over on the western/southwestern side, you will be farther from things than you want and too far to walk to them.)

Despite what you have said about restaurants you like, try Jestine's Kitchen on Meeting Street. Good Southern cooking. Not expensive. Very popular. Think of it as part of your Charleston experience!

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g54171-d44…

Enjoy your visit!

Spirit

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston visit

If you go to Jestine's, GO EARLY! They do not take reservations and the lines get very long (hour or more wait at times.)

Lincroft, New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston visit

Hi Spirit

I booked the Renaissance HD for our stay. It is within the area you said. I think this is the best choice so that we can walk to every thing for our short stay. I have read about Justine's and thought that we might even try it for lunch. Thanks for all the info!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston visit

SNOB has a great lunch menu with a daily special under $10. Fleet Landing is on the water and the food is good but not great. The Griffon is a good place for lunch and they might enjoy playing darts while waiting for their food. It is a pub and full of locals at lunch. Most of the places have their menus online and posted outside the door. Do make reservations ASAP!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston visit

For dinner in any of the nicer restaurants (Magnolia's, SNOB, Anson,Hank's, FIG, High Cotton, Hall's Chop House, etc) you need to make reservations now. If you wait until you arrive you may find that you can not get into the places you want to go. You need reservations at least 2 weeks in advance in order to get much choice on what times are available.

Doylestown, PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charleston visit

You HAVE to go to POOGAN'S PORCH for their increditable biscuits!! It's located on a side street next to the Holiday Inn (Mill's House). Being from the north, I thought a biscuit is a biscuit, but I promise your wife will be impressed. Go for breakfast

Mandeville, LA
Level Contributor
466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charleston visit

Your selected hotel is in a great location and offers very good service- enjoy! I agree that COAST would be a good choice for you all for one dinner. They accept reservations by phone- usually get an answering machine, but they will return your call. I second SNOB as one of the best lunch values at one of your finer restaurants. If your boys like peanut butter, the peanut butter pie is a tasty and lighter version that tastes so good on a hot day.