We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Help would be great...thx

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
310 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Any Help would be great...thx

Any suggestions would be great for a visit In mid July for 3 or 4 days.

What not to miss? Any nice markets?

We love crab legs.

We also like authentic southern food.....ambiance is always important and cocktails.

I am also a cigar smoker so suggestions on how this works in Charleston is helpful.

Would like to check out a Plantation and finally need to buy fresh local shrimp to take home.

Were staying at the Hyatt Place airport location just because we are suite people and I need to burn some Hyatt points. We have a car and driving is no problem.

Very excited to visit.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Help would be great...thx

If you have not already done so.... you need to read over Top Questions about Charleston at the right side of this page. That will answer many of your questions. Also, read thru some of the other forum posts for great info on restaurants, etc. If you want to try some of the nicer restaurants downtown for dinner ~ you need to make reservations ASAP. They get very booked up and without a reservation you are looking at only being able to dine at 5:30 pm or 9:30, or not at all.

Crab and crab legs not a big item here. Will mostly find local fish, shrimp and scallops.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 11:49
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Help would be great...thx

Forgot to mention ~ smoking is illegal in all public places in Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, Sullivans' Island, Isle of Palms. Not sure about North Charleston where your hotel is. During peak traffic times, plan on half hour or more to drive to the historic district or back to your hotel. Less during other times.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Help would be great...thx

You can smoke outside, and some restaurants have outside seating that allow smoking (not all).

For more up-to-date listings on things to do, check out the Charleston Visitors Center website at http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/.

You can find crab legs at Charleston Crab House, Noisy Oyster, AW Shucks, Gilligan's, and Crab Shack. Not the best ambiance at these places, but you will find your crab legs.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Help would be great...thx

Remember, those crab legs will be frozen/imported, just the same as you could get at home.

Please enjoy some of our local shrimp and whatever the fish of the day is at the restaurants while you are here.

For a nice drive, which would include visiting the Angel Oak, the Tea Plantation (no house here, just tea), the Irvin Vineyard/Firefly Distillery (tasting rooms, if you are interested), drive out to Cherry Point Landing for shrimp right off the boat. All the way at the end of Maybank Hwy on your map.

For restaurant ideas in this area, please check the thread "Wadmalaw Island".

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Help would be great...thx

A city in South Carolina "outlawed" smoking in public places.....now that is an oxymoron.

Anyway.....I'm asking for personal recommendations..... what's your favorites, and why.......my wife would also like info for a good BBQ joint maybe with live music, but that's for me.... crab is not popular in Charleston.....Mercy!

Kiawahbeth...thx for the recommendation for fresh market seafood and scenic drive...sounds like a plan. One day we are just going to drive around the coast and see what we find....wish we could bring our boat up and cruise the islands...wife says no!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Help would be great...thx

If you are here on Saturday, check out the Farmer's Market at Marion Square, lots of fun!!!

JB's Smokeshack on Maybank is good, no music.

There will be music if you go to Wadmalaw Island on Saturday at Firefly Distillery. Different food vendors every week.

Lowcountry is all about fresh seafood, we don't have much in the way of crab, especially not the Alaska King Crab!!!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Help would be great...thx

We would rather eat fresh local seafood than frozen imported crab legs.

Many fine restaurants downtown specialize in lowcountry cooking, the traditional Charleston style. ie - shrimp & grits, etc. Try High Cotton, Anson's, Magnolia's, SNOB. For basic southern food, nothing fancy try Boulevard Diner in Mt. Pleasant and also Page's Okra Grill in Mt. Pleasant. For barbeque in a local style (vinegar and red pepper) try Mama Brown's in Mt. Pleasant. This is the style many of us grew up eating. No music.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Help would be great...thx

Carter's kitchen in Mt Pleasant and SNOB downtown are our favorites for nice dining.

For BBQ, I like Moose's in Summerville - nothin' fancy; but good eats. There are BBQ places in Mt P, but I am not a fan. Sticky Fingers used to be good, years ago. You may hear people recommend it because of reputation.

We have blue crabs here, not the snow crabs. Much of our blue crab catch goes to Maryland. The lowcountry is more of a shrimp place than a crab place. Shrimp and grits is a local delicacy that is much better than it sounds. Every chef prepares it different. My wife prepares it best. :)

If you can find a Lowcountry Boil, you have found a treat. Homemade is best. I think the Crab Shacks do a pretty good job of it.

If you get a condo with a kitchen, pick up some fresh shrimp from Magwoods or Wando shrimp (on Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant) and try your hand at it preparing yourself. Shrimp goes as low as $3-4 per pound in the season. I think it is about $4.00 for head on and $6.00 for head off right now. You could eat like a king for $10 or $15.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 18:18
Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Help would be great...thx

I got back too late to edit -

Mount Pleasant Farmer's Market is Tuesday afternoon from about 3 until dark. It's small and has vendors that serve dinner. You can find it by coming over the Ravenel Bridge from Downtown and taking the Coleman Blvd exit. When you hit the heavy traffic and see the crosswalk and crossing guard, you're there. You can also get directions to Magwoods and Wando Shrimp from there.

10. Re: Any Help would be great...thx

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 05:18