We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

Hi guys, I hope everyone is well!

I'm currently based in the UK however I have a 2 week vacation between 21st August and 4th September and I will begin my holiday in Charleston (SC).

I have never been to this part of the USA before and I am overwhelmed with all of the options available at the moment.

For example:

Do I stay in Charleston for the full two weeks and have a perfectly relaxing holiday touring the Georgia and Carolina coast

OR

Do I stay for a few days in Charleston and then embark upon a road trip across the Deep South of America ? If so, where should I go / visit?

The only stipulation I would have is that I was planning on spending the last few days of my holiday in Savannah (GA)

Any and all suggestions are welcomed :-)

Kind Regards,

Olivia

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

You have lots of time to work with. Suggest you visit Saint Augustine in northeast Florida. And Fernandina/Amelia Island as long as you are down here.

Spirit

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

Yup, like spirit said, since you have so much time I would go on a grand tour!

Spend a lot of time in Charleston though since there's so much to see and do, and then hit the road, St. Augustine is a wonderful wonderful place, If you want a quick day trip, Beaufort, SC has a great waterfront area to explore.

If you want, skip up to Myrtle Beach (2.5 hours away from Charleston) for a wild time, visit the "Redneck Riveria"

Columbia, SC has a fantastic zoo, "Riverbanks"

The Space Coast in Florida may be worth a drive as well, that may be pushing it though for time but if you'd like to see all of the NASA stuff then its a must see.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
485 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

We've done a couple of road trips, although we've started out of Orlando as it's the cheapest place to fly to from Glasgow.

2 years ago: 2 nights Daytona, Drive to Gulf Shores, Alabama for a few nights, drive to New Orleans for a long weekend, drive back stopping at Gulf Shores for a couple of nights then home. approx 1500 miles

Last Week: 2 nights Daytona (spent day at Kennedy Space Centre, it's amazing), Drive to Savannah (1 night), Drive to Charleston (3 nights), Drive to Smoky Mountains (4 nights), drive to Gulf Shores (3 nights), Daytona before flying home (1 night). approx 1800 miles

We've loved both trips and would like to come back to see more of the South, there is so much to see and such a great distance to cover the temptation is to fit in lots of destinations. This trip, although we had a fabulous time, we didn't quite get it right. Savannah, Charleston, Smoky Mountains were all acceptable drives. The drive down from the Smoky Mountains was too far without a decent break after it (it's quite far back to Florida). We would even do the same trip but in reverse so we finish with a smaller amount of driving.

We love road trips, I would say that when you map out your fortnight plan, colour code the days that you will be driving for more than half the day and check you are happy to spend that much time in the car. We've had a fabulous time but I'm lucky that I've had a couple of days before having to go back to work and have pretty much slept continuously!

Happy planning, I'm super jealous. We've only been to the west coast and the south and the South is by far the friendlier place, I'd love to go back!

Susan

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

What time of the year will her be here?

I would do fly into Charlotte and head to Charleston (at least 4 days including beach time) then up to the mountains of western North Carolina then over to Nashville, Memphis then down to Chattanooga before returning to Charlotte.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

Ladies and gents, what a fabulous response and thanks for your ideas / suggestions : I think it'd pretty much decided that a Road Trip is order :-)

So the plan in full:

Fly from London to Charleston via Miami, stay in Charleston for a few days to a) recover from the journey b) adjust to the time difference and c) acclimatise to the weather - it's pretty rubbish in London at the moment.

then.... hire a car and travel around - locations to be decided

then..... spend the last 3 days in Savannah before heading back to Charleston to then fly home

... I think I might need another holiday after this trip ;-) xx

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

I suppose the one thing I would say is that out of the travelling party I'm the only one who is able to drive - can anyone see that being a problem in terms of the vast distances involved in that part of the country???

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

nah, get yourself a comfy car and you'll be good, There are so many places to stop and stretch your legs that the drive won't be bad for just one driver. Just remember to stretch periodically and get some good rest and you'll be good.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

I would suggest a minimum of 4 days in Charleston, there is SO much to do and see here. (far more than in Savannah) Especially, since you might be very tired the 1st day or 2 due to jet lag. 4-5 days Charleston, 1 day Beaufort, 2-3 days Savannah, 2 days St. Augustine Florida. From there it would be quite a long drive to New Orleans, but that is worth visiting if possible.

Considering that you will be the only one driving, you may want to stick to a smaller area tho. Perhaps going up to Asheville, NC for a few days. In my personal opinion ~ Columbia, SC is not worth bothering with (there is a nice zoo, but that is about it) and I also would not waste time on Myrtle Beach, SC. It is very touristy, lots of t-shirt shops, mini golf (putt-putt), tacky souvenir shops, etc. However if that appeals to you, to see the craziness of it all, you could fit a couple of days in there as well.

I don't think I would try to go further south than St. Augustine, FL or further north than Asheville, NC ~ otherwise you might find yourself driving far more than you would like. :-)

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

Ok can I put the following itinerary to you guys and please tell me if its realistic / achievable:

Fly into charleston late in the evening then spend the next 3 full days there. Then fly to Nashville TN and spend a few days there - I'm thinking 2 days will be enough. Then hiring a car and going to the NASA space centre in Huntsville Alabama then driving to Atlanta for a stop over before rounding off the holiday in savannah - what do you guys think??? Or do you think I should drive all the way down to mobile in Alabama and then work my way back along the coast? So many options...... Lol! :-) x

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm coming to Charleston on holiday!!! :-)

I think you'd be far happier w/the itinerary that Endo suggested above including St. Augustine and Asheville.

I agree w/at least 4 days in Charleston, especially w/the jet lag recovery and finish w/maybe just 2 in Savannah.

The driving distances on this trip will not be anything that gives a particularly killer day and will give you more time to relax a little and enjoy a little more of what the South is all about.