We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking tours advice

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walking tours advice

My wife and I are interested in a walking tour while visiting the Historic District in August. I'm interested in a historic/homes and garden tour that would compliment the carriage tour we will be taking the day before. I've seen the list of tour companies that offer this but would like your advise on which ones you prefer and why. We are planning to take this tour on a Tuesday.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking tours advice

You definitely need to do a walking tour---there is no better way to see the city. A carriage is great---but you really don't get into the small streets---nor are you going to really get to peek your head inside of the gardens, that you've expressed an interest in seeing. A lot of the tours focus on general Charleston history---and talk about architecture, gardens, cuisine, etc. My personal recommendation is Charleston Sole. Brian gave us a great tour---he's a local, he's personable and if you tell him the things your interested in---he will try to focus on your interest. Enjoy your time in Charleston---you'll find it to be a great city!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking tours advice

Public garden tours are spring and fall, Preservation Society, Garden Club or Historic Foundation, the rest of the time folks don't mind if you peer in through their gates to gawk and take pictures.

My walking tour of choice is Ed Grimball, very good!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking tours advice

I disagree on the carriages ~ they DO go on smaller streets. In fact, they avoid the larger streets with lots of vehicle traffic as much as possible in order not to snarl traffic and so the riders are not being subjected to fumes and noise the entire trip.

Ed Grimball is great, as is Michael Trouche.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking tours advice

Which route you get on the carriage tour makes a big difference. The routes are determined by a lottery system, so we don't end up with carriage gridlock in certain parts of town. Also, the carriage tours are one hour. I'm not saying you should take a carriage tour, but that you are wise to follow it up with a walking tour. You'll see and learn much more. All of the guides mentioned in previous posts do a great job!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking tours advice

Thanks for the quick responses from everyone. I think we will give Brian a try with Charleston Sole. He seems like a young guy with a family trying to make it on his own. His website is TA approved and tells a lot about him and his past. I like how he offers two tours a day six days a week. He must be a hard worker.

A little background about why I asked this question. My wife had bought a voucher for Charleston Old Walled City Tours but did not realize that this guy Al only offered one tour while we would be visiting. The tour is for 10:00 am the morning we arrive. We have a 4 1/2 hour drive to Charleston and would have to wake up at an very unhappy hour to get there in time. His reply to her was condescending and advised her to gift it to someone else. He has every right to run his business how he wants and I have the same right to spend my money how I want. I won't be waking up early to hear his voice tour us around.

Thanks again for the help. Can't wait to get there!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking tours advice

Thanks for that info. That is the sort of thing that helps us guide visitors and who/what is a good or not so good option.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking tours advice

You are welcome. I was hoping it would be viewed as helpful for future visitors and not just a negative.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,914 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking tours advice

You can also pick up self guided walking tour maps at the Visitors Center and go when you decide and at your leisure.

Remember that it does get hot later in the day. Walk on the shady side of the street.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking tours advice

You'll love Brian. He's a very nice, young man... and he has a depth of knowledge.

10. Re: Walking tours advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:16