We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Guided "Stroll"

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Self Guided "Stroll"

Please feel free to fill in and/or modify the *** :

A lunch stop is not needed.

Starting Point: City Market area (after carriage ride) - approximately 10:00 - 10:30 am

*** Down King

*** Russell, Edmonston-Alston, or Calhoun House

*** Up East Bay

*** Waterfront Park

Ending Point: Southend Brewery (for Culinary Tour) - 2:00 pm

Oyster Point Historic Walking Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Introducing Charleston
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
Charleston in a Nutshell
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Palmetto Carriage Works
Sightseeing Tours, Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Guided "Stroll"

I would go through The Market and up East Bay Street to Vendue Range (Southend Brewery and Venue Inn are on the corner) take aleft and head down to Waterfront Park then take a right and stroll along the water to Exchange Street. Take a right and stroll up Exchange Street to East Bay St. Turn left at the Old Exchange and Provost Bldg. Stroll along East Bay Street past Rainbow Row, down to the Edmonston-Aston House. Take your tour then go across the street and stoll around the tip of the peninsula and then back through White Point Gardens to Church Street. Head back up Church Street across Broad Street to Queen Street. Take a right on Queen Street which will bring you up to the side of Southend Brewery.

Just for the record, for a house tour I would skip the Calhoun Mansion and do either the Edmonston-Alston House or the Nathaniel-Russell House.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 15:43
Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Guided "Stroll"

If your a AAA member--stop in a get a SC Tourbook---there are great self guided walking tours in the book.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Guided "Stroll"

As a tour guide, I'd walk down Church Street to White Point Garden and go back up Meeting Street. If your carriage tour already went on Meeting and East Battery, walk up King from White Point instead.

From Meeting or King Street, turn east (right) on either Broad Street or Queen Street to get over to South End Brewery.

I'm not sure I'd try to visit a house museum in the time you have. The garden of the Nathaniel Russell House is open for you to walk around and get up close to the building without going in. The interior of St. Michael's Church is almost always open and air-conditioned.

No rest rooms below Broad Street. Public facilities on the ground floor of City Hall (across from St. Michael's) and inside air-conditioned Dock Street Theatre. The Preservation Society bookshop on King Street, corner of Queen, has a ground-floor restroom with discreet donation basket for visitors.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: Self Guided "Stroll"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 07:18