We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one week in Charleston with 3 children

Lavaur, France
4 posts
Save Topic
one week in Charleston with 3 children

Hello,

I will be from 20th to 26th of august with my children who are 6,8 and 10 years old in Charleston. If I have some ideas about things to do there, it would be great to have informations about people who already stayed there, eventually with children to have better ideas, perhaps.

My children don't speak english but I don't think it will be a big problem for enjoying visits and activities even if I can't translate everything. So many things to see an enjoy...

Thanks for helping me.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one week in Charleston with 3 children

If you have not already done so.... look to the right side of this page (on a computer not a mobile phone) for the topic Top Questions About Charleston. This will give you lots of information on what is available to see and do in the area. It even has some sample itineraries. Once you have read over this and have an idea of what you may enjoy, we will help you with the specifics. Will you be staying in the historic district or another part of town? Will you have a car?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one week in Charleston with 3 children

Also tell us what you and your children are interested in...outdoor activities??? Museums? Galleries?

Give us a little more info about you and your family and we'll be able to help more.

Lavaur, France
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: one week in Charleston with 3 children

Hi,

Our hotel is located in historic Charleston.

We thought to visit Fort Sumter but we have an hesitation with Fort Moultrie. Which one must we choose ?

A plantation, historic homes are planed but so much to visit that we want to be sure to make the right choice.

Surely the Fire Museum ( each town we visit in the States we visit because my husband was a volounteer before ). We don't know if the children museum will be a good place for our children because as they don't speak english, will they understand the activities ?

Parks will be welcome.

We never rented a car because I feel a little bit afraid to drive in the US ( I know that I have no reason but as I don't know exactly where I go, I feel afraid with my hesitations, if you understand my poor english) but as Charleston is a "town" as Toulouse (near where I live in south of France) I should be able to drive without any problem (my husband would like to rent a car). it's a little bit hard because he doesn't speak english even if since 2005 ( till the first time we travelled to the States), he learned some sentences.

We thought that it could be great to go another place than Charleston as Beaufort or Savannah for one day. What is your opinion about this project ? Is it enough to have fun and make a good discovery ?

Thanks again for your help and answers.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,662 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one week in Charleston with 3 children

Savannah is a good 2 hour drive from Charleston each way and would make a long day trip, but it is unique, about 50 years newer than Charleston and had a different development process.

Beaufort is a little more than an hour and is a pleasant small town with a neat main street along the river front.

To make the most of your trip you will need to rent a car;determine what documents you might need ahead of time.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one week in Charleston with 3 children

The Children's Museum is really geared to younger kids. Our daughter was bored with it by age 5.

The Charleston Visitors Center has a Family Fun website. All kinds of info for things to do in Charleston with kids! http://www.charlestonfamilyfun.com/

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one week in Charleston with 3 children

I don't think you should take the children to Fort Sumter. The boat ride is long, the fort was almost destroyed during the Civil War. There is good narrative on the boat, and excellent interpretation at the fort - but it's all in English. Fort Sumter is hotter than fire in August. Fort Moultrie has interesting artifacts and shaded areas, but you have to get there in a car.

Middleton Place or Magnolia Garden will be a fine destination for children. Again, you'll need a car.

Small children enjoy taking bread to Hampton Park and feeding the ducks - yours might be too old for that.

It is so very hot in Charleston in August, you'll need to schedule your activities for early morning and late afternoon.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one week in Charleston with 3 children

You can only get to Fort Sumter by boat and it takes about a half a day to do so. You arrive at the location, buy tickets, board the boat, ride to the Fort (in the middle of the harbor), take a tour given by a park ranger, (the fort is basically in ruins, not maintained), board the boat for the trip back and disembark. All very time consuming. I'm not sure you would really enjoy it. You can drive to Ft. Moultrie.

Savannah is about 2.25 hour drive away (each way), it is a nice town,but does not have nearly as much to see and do as Charleston. Unfortunately they lost many of their historic buildings and sites over the years. Charleston has much more to see and do. I think you may find Savannah to be too far for a day trip.

Beaufort is about 1 hour drive (each way) and is a small historic town that makes a very nice day visit.

You will need the car to see any plantations or to go to the beach, also to get to the fire museum.

Traffic in Charleston can be difficult, due to many one way streets and very heavy rush hour traffic. If you avoid traveling during rush hours, you should not have problems.

If you are only going to visit one plantation, we usually suggest Middleton Place, as it has a house and gardens to tour. There are also demonstrations, but not sure your children would enjoy them, since they do not speak english and would not understand the explanations.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one week in Charleston with 3 children

The children might enjoy the aquarium and maybe a Schooner Pride cruise. White Point Gardens and Waterfront Park are fun for the children.

Ask for a French translation at Middleton Place. I do not know if all the exhibits offer it but there was one another language available for a friend at their house museum. You might enjoy the house museum but I would not recommend it for most children. The rest of the plantation is throughly enjoyed by children.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one week in Charleston with 3 children

Hello Maryse1765,

I think you would all enjoy the horse and carriage tour. There are several different companies that offer this, but they are all essentially the same. They all leave from the middle of the north side of the old market at the corner of Church St. and North Market Street. The children wouldn't understand the commentary, but they could enjoy the ride and the sights of the tour. You don't need a reservation. Just show up during the day whenever it is convenient.

Here are some reviews of the carriage tours: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g54171-d1930…

Enjoy your visit

Spirit

Edited: 12 August 2013, 16:46
10. Re: one week in Charleston with 3 children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 07:19