We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation rentals

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
vacation rentals

Hello,

I am heading to Charleston late oct.

Have 2 rentals I am deciding on.

One is on Cannon street near the medical college, and the other is the upper east side.

Meeting st and lee st 5 blocks form I26.

We are interested in the historic district all sites and walking at night to dinner on king st.

What is the best place location for walking safety ect.

It has been 6 years since our last visit.

Thanks

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacation rentals

Neither are easily walkable to the historic district. The one on Cannon is in a transitional neighborhood. Some blocks are fine but others are not advisable. The location on Lee Street is not an area in which I would stay.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacation rentals

I found the one was referenced in a trip report. It is listed as a "Romantic Loft" on VRBO http://www.vrbo.com/263489 and in in a great location. Not knowing your needs or budget but this one is one that I remember getting rave reviews.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,809 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vacation rentals

I agree.... those are not places that I would choose to stay. Long walk from the historic districts Market, Battery, etc. Not ideal for walking late in the evening after a night out.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: vacation rentals

my vote is for neither as well....although if you HAVE to pick between those 2, I'd go with the Cannon st location, at least its somewhat close to the HD, although the walk to the HD from there is rough.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vacation rentals

Thank you all for your responses.

I knew both areas were on the fringe, from my past visits.

I was leaning toward Cannon st.

I was hoping things had improved more.

We will have a car, and I was already planning on using taxi's at night if need be.

Not much left for rentals in my time frame.

I guess there is always hotels.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: vacation rentals

This isn't everybody's cup of tea, but maybe try looking around at the Bed and Breakfasts, there's many historic and charming places, you might have some luck with those.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vacation rentals

Try www.vrbo.com as well as the TripAdvisor vacation rentals. There is some overlap but many are different.

8. Re: vacation rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:17