We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise to bahamas

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise to bahamas

Do you have to have a passport if were driving to Charleston to get on the cruise ship? I have heard if you fly you have to, but if you drive to the port you don't have to? Let me know something thanks!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise to bahamas

I've dropped my parents off several times and they've always had to have their passport information/ID information ready.

Your going to need to have your passport regardless though unless they don't want to ever leave the ship.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise to bahamas

Any time you leave the US, no matter what the means of transportation, you now need a passport. This should be in your brochures and the information you were sent with your booking.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise to bahamas

We haven't booked it yet I was just wondering

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise to bahamas

Make sure you get your passport stuff sorted out before booking, it can take 4-6 weeks (and sometimes a lot longer) for you to get one.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise to bahamas

Even with an "expedited" passport replacement or renewal it can a long time!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,360 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise to bahamas

I'd say count on at least 2 months, we just sent money to granddaughter to get one and we're not taking her anywhere till then end of March.

Best to plan ahead!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise to bahamas

I have a passport my boyfriend dosnt have one though

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise to bahamas

The cruise line probably won't even let you book if you don't have a passport with at least 6 months left on it (or at least say that you do). But, check with them to be sure. I've been surprised before.

Your boyfriend could get a passport very quickly if he wanted to pay for it and possibly take a little road trip to a National Passport Service Center. I tried to figure out where the would be for you but all I found was a phone number. Here in Florida it would be Miami. It might be DC for you. Or, you might catch a break and it's in Charleston. It's definitely not your local post office. Just take a look at the State Departments passport web site to find out how to do it.

Back in the 80s I took a cruise and they were asking me for assorted documents like a birth certificate or voters registration card, which I did not have with me. The agent looked little puzzled and was wondering what I had that the immigration folks would accept. It seemed odd to them when I showed them my passport, but that that got me through. Times have changed a bit.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise to bahamas

All of the information listed above is helpful--- however is incorrect.

You do NOT have to have a passport to go on the cruise from Charleston. On All cruises to the Caribbean you are allowed to travel on your long form birth certificate (meaning it has the raised seal as well as both of your parents information on it). If you can't locate yours then you can obtain it from Vital Records in the state in which you were born. It should cost no more than $20.00 to do this.

With all of that being said--- you DO need a passport if you are flying out of the country. It is always best to travel with a passport, if possible---as it makes things a lot easier. Example: you take the cruise on your birth certificate---but you get sick in Nassau and need to fly home...you can't do so with your BC...you'd need a passport. Just something to think about. If you can afford to get one---then i say, bite the bullet and do it.

I highly recommend you working with a local travel agent instead of booking everything yourself online. It doesn't cost you any extra to do so----and you'll have a person there to answer any questions you have that pop up like this... my travel agent is Michelle Shears at AAA. Her number is 843.856.4607 if you want to call her and get her help.

Here is the link direct from the Carnival website on proper documentation needed:

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=travel+documentation

10. Re: Cruise to bahamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:20