We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

Brookline...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

My husband and I are spending a long weekend in the beginning of November in Charleston. 1st night will be spend in Folly Beach and the 2nd and 3rd will be spend in Charleston. Our lodging is set but we're looking for itinerary and food/drink suggestions. The only thing set is visiting the plantations (we're thinking Middleton/Drayton) one day.

Any other itinerary suggestions?

Restaurants? (We're on a budget, so we're looking for places with dinner entrees between $10-20)

Any great happy hour deals we should know about?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

Hi, if you have not already done so.... please look to the right side of this page (on a computer, not a phone) for Top Questions About Charleston. It will give you loads of info on what is available to see and do, there are even sample itineraries listed. Once you have some ideas on what you might like to do/see, we can help you plan them.

You may want to consider some of the nicer downtown restaurants for lunch, since prices are better then. ( Magnolia's, Blossom, SNOB) Not all of them are open for lunch tho.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

Endo has given good info, look to the better restaurants for lunch, then go for appetizers for dinner this plan works well and gets you into some great places!

Yes, do some reading, then tell us what interests you and we can help more.

When you are on Folly, take the time to walk out (all the way at the end of the island) and view the Morris Island Lighthouse, take your camera. This view is especially cool if it's a little foggy out (first thing in the morning might work).

Brookline...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

Thank you both for your help!

We'll definitely look into the more popular restaurants I keep hearing about here for lunch, thank you for the suggestion! Any thoughts on affordable dinner options? Perhaps any good happy hour deals I should know about?

Also, we've decided to check out the tea plantation and firefly distillery on our way from the airport to Folly Beach. Any suggestions for lunch that are on the way?

Finally, when in Charleston we are staying downtown, but more toward the hospital (for budgeting reasons). Is walking to the touristy parts doable?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

Drive from the hospital area to the Historic District, downtown is not the same as the HD, too far to walk.

Restaurants in the John's Island area are...

Angel Oak (on SR17, just south of Main Rd.)

Tomato Shed at Stono Market (on Main Rd.)

Regarding dinner options, if you have a great lunch at one of the finer restaurants, take advantage of bar menus or salad/appetizer/dessert menus at the finer restaurants for dinner, don't focus on entree and you should still be able to stick w/your basic budget.

Sunrise Bistro

JB's Smokeshack (on Maybank, I'd choose this one, take the buffet, great fried chicken and mac & cheese)

Edited: 09 October 2013, 15:02
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

Oops, got that dinner note in the middle of my John's Island restaurant list, sorry!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

Most of the restaurants have their menus posted on line and most are available on the TA review area for restaurants. Many of them have the prices listed. Also, most of the restaurants have menus posted outside so you can check them out to check the selection and prices. Do make reservations as soon as possible.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

There are previous threads that mention many of our happy hour favs, both for food and drinks, but would be happy to give suggestions if there's anything in particular you want.

Brookline...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

Thanks, I'll look around the forum for previous happy hour threads - but if anyone has any suggestions I'd happily take them! We are coming down from Boston and are looking for that 'Southern charm'. We like a more laidback vibe over trendy and modern. My husband loves craft beer while I'd be up for beer/wine/cocktails (clearly I'm not picky).

Also looking for clarification on one last thing: is the trolley that runs in the historic district free or not? I keep reading conflicting things, and can't find the most current information. If someone from the area could clear it up for me, that would be great!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

Keep in mind that Drayton is the only one with the original house.

10. Re: 1st Time in Charleston - What to do?! Where to eat?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 05:18