We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

I'm starting our Mom & adult daughters annual trip planning for next year. So far we have been to :

Charleston (ideal)

St Augustine (ideal)

Savannah (overall-we liked but should have visited before Charleston)

New Orleans (My Mom wasn't a fan)

Although I'm ready to repeat our favorite places, my Mom & sis prefer to try new places.

We are thinking of Nashville, Galveston, San Antonio or Boston.

We like beautiful, friendly & clean cities, ghost tours, carriage rides, walkable cities, history & shopping (like French Market type of places).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

Wow! Given the entire continent of North America, that's a big question! Boston would be an obvious pick for its importance in US history. For unique ambiance and good food, as well as history, you might add Quebec, Canada, and Key West, Florida, to your list.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

Galveston used to be very nice but I have not been there since the huge hurricane hit and so much was lost. I would go to Boston, San Antonio or San Francisco.

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

Thank you! My Mom won't even entertain the possibility of Key West since she is a snowbird on the southwest coast of Florida. I will look into Quebec also. That location wasn't even on my short list.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

I spent much of my childhood near St Augustine and now live outside Charleston. I like Quebec for the same reasons as the others. San Antonio would be wonderful, too. Take a look and let us know who you think; but, also please come back to Charleston! :-)

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

@ SCBlossom-thank you! I enjoyed my visit to San Francisco years ago but I'm concerned that my Mom would be disturbed by the homeless population. We just returned from New Orleans & there were a lot of people asking us for money. My Mom gave money to everyone who asked but it really bothered her to see so many people struggling. I know poverty is everywhere-but I want to protect my senior Mom from seeing so much sadness. It hits close to home for her. This is hard for me to put into words & I hope I'm not coming across as callous (I gave to the needy also). I love my Mom & now that I know this is an issue for her-I have to consider this when trip planning.

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

I will definitely return to Charleston someday-maybe even retire there! Incredible place!!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

Since Charleston is out for now, San Antonio is wonderful! The Riverwslk, Alamo and Missions are so beautiful. If you can go in December and see all the Christmas light it is even more beautiful. Just avoid Casa Rio Restaurant on the river but some of the others are great!

Once you come to Charleston, it gets into your blood and you have to come back. So many people come often and eventually move here.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

How about Asheville, NC? Trendy, artsy, lots of good food and the Biltmore to boot. Great scenery,as well.

No ghosts or carriages, but certainly plenty to see and do.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 10:28
chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

Thank you for all of your suggestions! Ironically, my in laws just moved to Asheville, NC so I'll be taking a trip there with the hubby & kids in the near future! Well, it is narrowed down to San Antonio, Boston, Quebec & Nashville. (If I had my way, we would go back to Charleston (Folly Beach too) & St Augustine. We couldn't do everything on my list during our previous visits. I especially loved that Charleston catered to the handicapped population & there is no friendlier city, IMHO.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LOVE Charleston & St. Augustine, Florida - where to next?

I'd like to add Santa Fe to the mix. It has at least as much history as Charleston and St Augustine. Great restaurants, too. No shortage of shops and art galleries in the city and the surrounding area. It's on my 'go back to some day' list.