We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question about cabs....

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
A question about cabs....

Hello!

My husband and I are from Australia, and we will be visiting Charleston in April. We will be staying at the Wentworth Mansion. When going out to dinner for the evening, would it be advisable to drive and park the car in a parking garage, or get a cab? Do you have to hail a cab, or ring for one to pick you up? (in Australia, we have to call.) Is there usually a long wait time, and can you make a reservation for cab pickup ahead of time?

I have also read a lot about pedi cabs. How do you book one?

Thanks kindly for your help. Every place is a little different when it comes to transportation!

Edited: 19 November 2013, 08:47
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question about cabs....

The Wentworth is really nice and within walking distance of many of the great restaurants. You may not need to do either. You'll see the pedicabs on the street and you can just hail one if you need one.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question about cabs....

You may just want to walk. If you do get a cab.... you have to call for one and wait for it to arrive, which can be 10 minutes or 45 ~ just no way to know.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question about cabs....

You can tell the folks at Wentworth where you are going for dinner and ask them to have a pedicab waiting for you at the appropriate time.

You should then be able to get a card from your cyclist which will have a number you can call to get a return pedicab, when you are finished with dinner. Do ask how far in advance you should call for minimal wait time.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question about cabs....

Thank you so much for your advice. We love walking, but I was just concerned about safety and walking at night. I know the Wentworth is a little bit out of the main shopping/restaurant area, so just wanted to make sure of the cab situation. Thanks again.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A question about cabs....

It is a bit out of the main area, but a perfectly safe area to walk. As you would in any place, be aware of your surroundings and keep your eyes open. :-)

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A question about cabs....

It depends on where you're dining whether you should walk to the restaurant. Consult the concierge - Wentworth Mansion has a good staff. For the return, I suggest taxi or pedicab. I don't say downtown Charleston is dangerous, but there are prime places for bad people along Wentworth Street from King Street to Wentworth Mansion: unpopulated areas beside churches and college offices, and large dark gardens of private homes.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A question about cabs....

Thanks so much - forewarned is forearmed as they say! And the cab system sounds very similar to what we have in Australia. Thanks so much for your help.

Doncaster
Level Contributor
305 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A question about cabs....

Hi Angie,

We got married in Charleston (we're from the UK) and we were staying on the outskirts of town, far too far to walk. We foolishly assumed taxi services would be much the same as over here, where there are hundreds of companies in every city vying for business, but struggled to get one to turn up at all, even after calling. in advance. Having said that, we were self-catering. Possibly the cab service is more reliable if booked via the hotel. We're returning next year and will be booking a hotel in the historic district ;-)

9. Re: A question about cabs....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 06:19