We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it?

Missouri
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth it?

My husband I are planning to travel to Charleston May 4-8. We would love to stay at one of the more boutique-type hotels in the historic district. We have looked at Zero George and Charleston Place and both are within our budget; however, we can stay at the Hampton Inn Historic District and save nearly $500. We could of course spend this extra on food/art/etc. Is it truly worth it to spend the extra money on a non-franchised, name brand hotel? Or are we better off to spend our money on the fun stuff?

Thanks!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth it?

Charleston Place is a huge hotel (by Charleston standards), nothing boutique about it.

It's really up to you, what type of ambiance you are looking for during your trip.

We used to stay at Hampton Inn and had a wonderful time (right near the Farmer's Market at Marion Square, if you are here on Saturday). We've also stayed at CP and had a great time, but they do nickel and dime you to death. Lots of long, long hallways at CP.

Can't help you w/Zero George, it gets nice write-ups.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,644 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth it?

We stayed at Charleston Place just this week and it was great, but if it crimps your budget such that you'd not have the $500 for food, etc. then Hampton Inn (not too far from the Visitor Center, we walked by it on our way there) is fairly well located, maybe a 5-10 minute walk from Charleston Place..

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth it?

It would depend on your needs and travel style. If I am in a place where I will spend very little time in my room and plan to be out and about except for sleeping, I go with lower priced. However, if I need to have my room available for popping into or know that I will spend more time in the hotel, I opt for location and atmosphere.

CP is the best location of the 3 listed and the largest.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth it?

Personally, I would rather spend the $500 on our fabulous restaurants than on a hotel room that you won't spend a tremendous amount of time in ~ unless you can afford to do both. For my personal preference, CP would be my last choice. I find it to be too impersonal. There are better places.

Missouri
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth it?

Thanks for all the feedback, I think we may go with the Hampton Inn just so we have more wiggle room for the fun stuff! You mentioned the farmers market, currently our trip doesn't span a Saturday--should we try to make that work to see the farmers market?? Also are there any middle of the road hotels you would recommend over the Hampton Inn?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth it?

In the historic district, the Hampton Inn and the Best Western King Charles Inn usually have the most reasonable prices. Are you familiar with www.kayak.com

You can search many hotels at once and see who is offering good prices.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth it?

Farmer's Market is worth it, if you can make it work.

BW King Charles has recently separated from the BW chain, is just going by King Charles Inn at this time. Prices may have increased, from a brief glance, most appear to be above $200/nt., although it may still be the least expensive in the HD, do look at Mills House, as well.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth it?

Wow, did not know they separated. I bet prices will definitely go up. :-(

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,644 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth it?

Be sure to walk thru the Market buildings to see crafts, foodstuffs, etc. I got a wonderful sweetgrass basket from Andrea Cayetano in the second building in from the water side.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth it?

That's the Historic Market that Honu is speaking of, right in the center of the Historic District, as opposed to the Farmer's Market mentioned above.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 19:54