We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it sandal weather in April?

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Is it sandal weather in April?

My husband and I are counting down the weeks until our wonderful trip to Charleston! We will be in the city from 6-12 April.

I have looked at the average temperature for previous years on Weather Underground, but just wanted to check...

Will it be sandal weather? I am planning spring dresses and sandals, with a light jacket or two, so I hope so!

Thanks for your advice.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it sandal weather in April?

That should be fine, but I'd check the forecast right before you come just to make sure we don't have any strange cold fronts moving in while you're here.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it sandal weather in April?

In Charleston you will walk, walk, walk. Sandals are fine, but they must be comfortable for walking on uneven pavement, including cobblestones. Also keep in mind that a sudden heavy downpour can flood the streets.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it sandal weather in April?

Thanks for your advice - much appreciated.

I have some very pretty sandals for dinner, and some more practical sandals for walking. I wore the most uncomfortable shoes on my first overseas trip, and I can still remember things based on how sore my feet were at the time (and the trip was 20 years ago!). Those days are gone. :)

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it sandal weather in April?

In Charleston people dress for comfort and weather. Go with what makes your feet feel best!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it sandal weather in April?

Yes, sandals or other flat shoes will be nice with your spring clothes.

This is gross but I'll say it: early April we are plagued with sand gnats/aka no seeums. They live in lawn grass, and they bite ankles, bare legs, and more painful points. They're somewhat dormant after dark, but in the daytime they are the devil. Defensive chemicals, which you will need, ruin silk clothes.

You might see local men with odd-looking pocket handkerchiefs in their jacket pockets. Fabric softener sheets, especially Bounce, are said to deter the gnats. That's fine for men with socks and long pants, but women need more protection.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it sandal weather in April?

Mike, thank you so much for telling me this. In Australia we have plenty of weird and wonderful bugs, but not sand gnats. We have big mosquitoes but these little gnats look nastier. Does standard bug repellant work?

Thanks again.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it sandal weather in April?

I just did a forum search and found lots of references to Bounce dryer sheets! Australian bug repellant may not suit SC bugs, so I may buy some Off Woods spray when we get there.

8. Re: Is it sandal weather in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 05:20