We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon late September 5 nights

USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon late September 5 nights

Help needed please.

I am helping my son plan his honeymoon.

They will be in Charleston for five nights in late September.

After reading the boards and doing a little investigating … These are some of things that I think they would enjoy- I would love any tips that would help to make it magical for them! (they will have a car)

There are a few thing that I just don’t have any idea about which company they should do

Carriage ride:

Hiring bikes for an afternoon to explore some quiet streets with fabulous homes: ?? (Is there a good place to hire bikes and to enjoy a leisurely cycle around??)

a day trip out to a beach/cute area to wander the shores: (Not sure which beach is the best to get to?)

Great places to eat: (Their B&B offers a nice breakfast every day—but any not to miss spots?)

For the rest If you would suggest a different company or location please advise!!! (remembering it is a late September visit)

Plantation tour: https://www.middletonplace.org/

Walking tour: http://charlestonsole.com/ or oysterpointtours.com/category/walking-tours/

Strolling quant streets: residential Historic District (area south of Broad Street)

Shopping areas to wander: Straw Market, King Street, Market Street

Picnic: get your food here: http://fastandfrenchcharleston.com/ and take your lunch for a picnic here: charlestonparksconservancy.org/our_parks/…

a concert: http://www.soundofcharleston.com/

walk and enjoy the swings: charlestonparksconservancy.org/our_parks/…

A cool old tree, if you have the time: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g54291-d10…

tea plantation: Charleston Tea Plantation

a cooking class: mavericksouthernkitchens.com/charlestoncooks…

kayak trip: http://www.kayakcharleston.net/ or http://www.charlestonoutdooradventures.com/

a foodie tour: http://www.charlestonculinarytours.com/

cruise: http://www.schoonerpride.com/daily-sails.cfm or to Fort Sumter http://spiritlinecruises.com/

Thank you!!

Edited: 14 February 2014, 09:43
USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon late September 5 nights

Okay I found a number of you recommended these places to dine: Any others-- they are just graduating from college so budget is a consideration :)

http://hominygrill.com/

magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/magnolias.asp…

mavericksouthernkitchens.com/slightlynorthof…

http://www.toastofcharleston.com/index.html

and I had listed fast and french for a picnic to go spot

any great places for desserts or specialties?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon late September 5 nights

All the carriage companies are roughly the same. They all pick up riders in the same area and take the same routes. Route of each carriage is determined by a lottery, run by the city. Each carriage holds 12 - 15 people. They can just show up to the loading area and pick a carriage.

We are very cautious about suggesting that people ride bikes in the historic district. Our roads were planned over 300 years ago for horses. In many areas they are so narrow that 2 cars can barely pass one another. Add to that tourists who are distracted by looking at the sites, are confused or lost, locals looking at their phones, etc and it can be a recipe for disaster. There are no bike lanes in the historic district. I myself was hit by a car while bike riding in the historic district. Fortunately, I did not have any serious injuries. It was a car load of tourists all looking out the other side of the car at something and did not even realize they had hit me! If they choose to rent bikes, they should do so at their own peril and be VERY careful! Over the years, several people have been killed.

Local beaches, Folly Beach, Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island are all about 20-25 min drive from the historic district and are very similar regarding the beach, sand ,etc Any would be a nice place to spend the afternoon. All are primarily residential, with a few restaurants and shops. The Isle of Palms has a county park, with plenty of parking and public showers to rinse off, etc if that is of interest to them.

We don't have anything called a Straw Market ~ I don't know where that term comes from. Market St has the traditional open air market, referred to here simply as The Market. The Tea Plantation is not a "plantation", no home, etc just a farm that grows tea. If they want to see a true plantation, they need to see either Middleton or Drayton Hall (the only one with the original home, dating back to 1738).

Will they have a car? A number of the things you have suggested will require a car to visit. To be honest, they are just going to have to make some of these decisions for themselves once they get here and see what interests them. They need to choose their own restaurants based on what looks good. Granted, they need to look online to check them out and make reservations a couple of weeks in advance. Also, you seem to have far more on this list than they can do in the time they will be here. After all, they are on their honeymoon...... they don't want to be running here and there every minute. :-)

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon late September 5 nights

Late September is generally a lovely time of year to be in Charleston, but it is also the height of hurricane season! Please make sure your son purchases trip insurance for this very important vacation.

Rather than bicycling, would they enjoy a kayak tour on lowcountry marsh creeks and rivers? Kayaking could be combined with a day at the beach.

You don't mention where they might stay. There are lovely hotels and b&bs located in the Historic District, which is the most romantic part of Charleston.

USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon late September 5 nights

Hi,

They are staying at the 1837 B&B. I hope it is cute for them!

I do have a kayak place listed above- I wanted to give them options they could chose between. :) So now, that I know the bikes are not a great idea I'l take them off his list.

I thought that Kayak Charleston or Charleston Outdoor Adventures both looked good. Do you have any advise on which one would be best?

USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon late September 5 nights

endosunshine,

Thanks for the heads up on the bike riding there! I will take that off of their list.

Also thank you for describing the carriage rides and how that works.

The term 'straw market' I came across today in a number of threads on the board as I was reading and reading and reading. :)

So, the tea plantation is not really worth the time or effort then? I can mark that from the list.

I wanted to have a good 10-12 things for them to choose between so they could plan one or two things each day that were active or planned and they could add in the strolls for the down time. I also wanted to have a few things, like the cooking class, that could happen if it was rainy.

Any tips on the two boat rides listed above? My son is a sailor.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon late September 5 nights

There are references to Charleston's Old City Market as a "straw market" but nobody here calls it that. It's not open-air like a real straw market.

Late September can be warm to hot. Sullivan's Island is my favorite beach for a nice walk, but if it's warm enough to swim, they should head to Folly so they can catch a shower beside the public fishing pier.

Many people love the Tea Plantation, it's interesting and educational, but it's a good long drive for somebody only here a few days.

Five Loaves Cafe is very good, and more budget-friendly than some of the others you've chosen. Blind Tiger Cafe is not bad, and the outside patio is romantic after dark (as long as they don't have a band). I recommend lunch at expensive places, dinner less fancy. The days will still be long - picnic dinner outside might make sense. Fast&French won't be a cheap picnic; I'd be inclined to walk to the HarrisTeeter grocery store downtown and make up a basket myself.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon late September 5 nights

Ralph Earhart of Kayak Charleston is very highly regarded. He will customize kayak tours to suit your time and interest. One of the Charleston DEs, an expert kayaker herself, is a personal friend of Mr. Earhart, and many of us have enjoyed tours with him.

1837 Bed and Breakfast looks very charming and gets wonderful reviews. The location is not really central to the most interesting parts of the historic district or close to the restaurants on your list. The included parking for small cars is a plus, but - except for the beach and plantation excursions - your son and daughter-in-law will usually walk and walk.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon late September 5 nights

Unless they are big Civil War buffs, I would take Ft. Sumter off the list. It takes up about a half day ~ get there, buy tickets, wait to board boat, ride over, disembark, get tour by a Park Ranger, board boat again, etc.

Sailor as in US Navy or enjoys sailing in small boats? I have kayaked with both www.kayakcharleston.net (Ralph) and www.kayakcharlestonsc.com and been happy with both. As mentioned Ralph can customize a trip to suit you, the others will have "standard" trips that you take part in.

Something not on your list that they may enjoy is a visit to Firefly Distillery, where they make the locally invented and very delicious Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka. They also make a number of other liquors and have tastings available. www.fireflyvodka.com

USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon late September 5 nights

Endosunshine,

Sailor as in he likes to sail on boats. He was crew on a tall sailing ship down in AU for a while and taught sailing for youth on smaller vessels for a while in AU as well. So, I thought perhaps the schooner trip would be nice?

I will put kayak charleston on the list for them to check out!

And I will remove Sumter. He is a history major- but he has been to a lot of sights, so we will leave that one off for the honeymoon. :0)

USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon late September 5 nights

Kiawahvilla,

Thanks for the heads up on the location of the 1837. A bit disappointing as I was lead to be live it was right in the thick of everyplace, when we made the reservation.

Thank you also for your input on the kayaking!