We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Charleston

Long Beach, ca.
Level Contributor
22 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in Charleston

I have been reading posts here for about 6 months. My wife and I will be visiting Charleston from February 26 - March 1st. We have most of our trip planned. We will be doing a Carriage ride, slave market, Fort Moultrie ,and Middleton Place. We are just not sure on either Bonne Hall or Drayton Hall. Any suggestions? We know we'll be busy in Charleston, and it might be a bit full, but we will be leaving for a week in Hilton Head, and a little visit to Savannah. Also, we have most of the restaurants picked out, but not sure of a good lunch place near the Slave market. Any suggestions? Are we missing anything? ..... So little time for a great city! Thank you all for your great posts, and the thoughtful replies. Will give a trip report upon return.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Charleston

Take a day trip from HHI up to Beaufort SC or stop on your way from Charleston. A neat little town with shops and good places for lunch.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Charleston

I think you mean The Market. Located on Market St and always known to locals simply as The Market. It was never a place that slaves were bought or sold. It was always a market for selling fruit, vegetables, livestock, crafts, etc. Some of the vendors were white, some free blacks and some slaves selling goods for their master. The Slave Mart is a totally different place, located on Chalmers St. and is now a museum.

I much prefer Drayton Hall, it is the only plantation with the original home, dating back to 1738. It has been maintained, but not restored. Which means that it has not been painted, remodeled, etc to look like someone is still living in it. The house at Boone Hall was built in the 1930's and is not really available to tour, I think they will let you see a few rooms on the first floor and that is it. Boone does have a nice entrance of live oak trees to drive thru. Plus, they are on totally opposite sides of town. Drayton and Middleton are "next door" to each other and you could do both on the same day.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 22:55
3. Re: 3 Days in Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 05:19