We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College visit in March with 2-3 nights in Charleston

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
College visit in March with 2-3 nights in Charleston

We are working a college visit to USC in Columbia into a Spring Break trip in March. It will be myself, my mom and my 17 year old daughter. We will fly into Charleston and rent a car. Currently planning to stay 4-5 nights between the two places. Any suggestions for B&B's to try that can accommodate 3 in one room? Thinking $225/night is the budget. How many nights in Columbia and how many in Charleston? One whole day will be college tour but we can cram that into a day trip if not much to see/do in Columbia. Thanks for the help!

Oyster Point Historic Walking Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Palmetto Carriage Works
Sightseeing Tours, Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours
Charleston Harbor Tours
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Charleston in a Nutshell
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College visit in March with 2-3 nights in Charleston

One more question...can we see everything we "must see" in 2.5 days? We will try to arrive early afternoon and have two other full days in Charleston before heading to Columbia. Can stay one more night if we should to get everything in. Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College visit in March with 2-3 nights in Charleston

If the college you're considering is in Columbia, there's your answer. You should spend the time in Columbia.

If your student wants to be in Charleston, she should consider a college in Charleston.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College visit in March with 2-3 nights in Charleston

MikeStone...I think I confused the issue....we are touring USC in Columbia. We are however staying in the area for 5 days. Just wondering if there is anything to do in Columbia or if we should spend most of our time in Charleston. I viewed the "to-do" list in Columbia and didn't find it very compelling. I'm sure its a great college town but maybe not so much for vacationers.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College visit in March with 2-3 nights in Charleston

I think if you're mixing business (of touring a school) with pleasure, then yes, you should stay in Charleston and enjoy the sights and tastes of the town. Columbia is about 1.5 to 2 hours away from Charleston and could be done as a day trip or on an overnight stay the night before or after your tour. If you do stay in Columbia, the Inn at USC is a really nice establishment near the campus that should be in your budget range.

Calling Columbia a great college town is a stretch in my opinion (I fully admit though I'm biased, as I went to Clemson, USC's big rival). Columbia does have some positives, but don't expect an attractive city with as much to do as Charleston. Keep in mind too that Charleston has the College of Charleston as well, so you could conceivably tour that as well.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 15:06
Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: College visit in March with 2-3 nights in Charleston

A B&B for 3 might be tough at that price. You might want to consider one of the "suite" hotels. There is an Embassy Suites on Meeting St. and a Doubletree on Church St.

You can spend a week in Charleston and not see everything. Let us know your interests, so we can help you narrow it down. You can get a good overview of things to do on the Charleston Visitors website. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/

6. Re: College visit in March with 2-3 nights in Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:23