We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking in historic district

Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
walking in historic district

My husband and I are thinking of a 2-3 day visit in a couple of weeks -- mid-March. I'm wondering about how easy it is to walk on the sidewalks and streets in the historic district. I had foot surgery 3 months ago and I need to be careful about not turning my ankle. I'm healthy and fit otherwise.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking in historic district

There are some areas where tree roots have made sidewalks uneven, etc, but for the most part, if you watch where you are going, you should be fine. I had foot surgery 3 months ago and I have had no difficulty walking any where.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 14:50
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking in historic district

Wear your sturdy walking shoes, not slip-ons or sandals and you should be fine.

Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking in historic district

What about cobblestone streets or sidewalks in the Historic District?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking in historic district

There are just a few cobblestone streets. You can avoid walking on the cobbles.

No cobblestone sidewalks. Some sidewalks are narrow, broken or obstructed by planters, roots, bicycles, etc.

When walking at night, stay on main sidewalks, well-lit streets, or familiar areas.

Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking in historic district

Thanks for your help. I'm going for it! Need to get away from the snow and cold in New England. I'll just watch my step.

6. Re: walking in historic district

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 06:18