We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

Hello! We are a family of four driving down in mid-April. Our children are 6 & 11.

Wondering if you have any suggestions regarding hotels versus house/condo rentals in Charleston or Folly Beach. We are hoping to explore Charleston, maybe drive to Savannah for the day. Hoping to hit museums, do some fishing, bike riding and hiking.

I am leaning somewhat toward renting a condo in Folly, but want to have as much info as possible. If you do suggest Folly - what properties are best? Clean is our only real deal breaker in that case.

Thanks in advance!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,224 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

There is only one hotel on Folly, lots of condos. If you stay in Charleston, then I would suggest staying in the historic district in order to be able to walk most places. Numerous hotels in the historic district and some condos, check www.vrbo.com

Look to the right side of this page for Top Questions About Charleston.... this will give you tons of info on what is available to see and do in the Charleston area, much more than is in Savannah. Savannah is also over 2 hours each way, so makes for a very long day trip.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

How long will you be here?

If you'll be here for less than one week, stay in the historic district. You can make efficient use of your time for sightseeing; and, if weather permits and the mood strikes you, you can drive out to the beach for a day.

If you are staying for one week or more, the beach is a good option. You can easily drive into Charleston for touring, but you'll also have fishing, bike riding and hiking right out your door.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,224 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

"Hiking" here is really just walking. :-) The area is extremely flat, so no hills to hike. The only hills are bridges over the rivers.

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

We will be there for 5 days and four nights.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,269 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

What's your budget? Tell us in $$$, not "reasonable", we can help w/suggestions.

With that short time, you should really just focus on Charleston and save Savannah for a time when you stay longer.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

I agree that, with only four nights, you should save Savannah for another trip.

For the best, most efficient experience of Charleston's numerous historic sites and museums, stay in the Historic District, where you can walk or take the DASH trolley to everything. For variety, take a day trip to Middleton Place plantation (history, beautiful gardens, lots of interesting exhibits for kids), go to the beach, or take a kayak trip in the rivers and marsh creeks.

In April you should be able to book a four night stay in a rental home or condo, but please consult us about location before you book! We've noticed that some locations listed as "historic" or "downtown" are actually very far from the major sites - a tough walk, especially with kids.

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

Thanks for the advice! yes - we will save Savannah for another time.

We would like to stay under $200 - which seems like a tall order in the historic district. We did find fairly good reviews of the Holiday Inn Express (west of Ashley) that appears to be downtown, and while not in the historic district, it has free parking /free breakfast and looks like its on the trolley line.

How reliable is the trolley?

just curious - why no recommendations for staying in Folly? We found a condo rental in our budget and I was thinking that might be a good base to relax with more space (2 bedrooms) and a firepit. I envisioned walking or riding bikes in the early evening. But my husband is concerned that with the primary things to do not being in Folly, the required driving and parking hassles will not be worth it. Thoughts?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,269 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

If you don't mind the 20 min. or so drive and want to stay at the beach, do so.

Parking isn't really a hassle, there are plenty of garages in Charleston.

We usually suggest short stays try to find a way to stay in the HD, the ambiance is so cool, especially when you get out in the morning before all the working folks and day-trippers arrive.

Your kids would probably appreciate beach more than historic romance.

On the other hand, the HIE is an older hotel that has been recently refurbished. It's in a fairly congested area, nothing walkable close-by, you will have to either drive or take the trolley (which I can't comment on the trolley, have never used it) for everything.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 12:27
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

If the condo on Folly suits your family you should go for it!

April is still "iffy" for beach weather, but all other outdoor activities will be great. Kids will be able to run around, ride bikes, etc. Be sure to walk out past the old Coast Guard station at the east end of the island for wonderful views of Morris Island Lighthouse and entry to Charleston Harbor.

Folly has casual restaurants, good for family. (Lost Dog Café is great for breakfast.) The 20 minute drive is not so bad mid-week in April; in summer it can turn into a much longer drive because of traffic.

If you want some fun grown-up reading, start Bill Noel's Folly Beach mysteries ... Available on Amazon.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental options Charleston Vs Folly Beach

PS - For my family, I would definitely choose Folly Beach over the HIE in West Ashley, or any other hotel not actually in the historic district.