We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you had to choose...

Edmond, Oklahoma...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
If you had to choose...

I'm sure depending on the circumstances you could always go one way or the other, but first instinct which one is your favorite and why.

SNOB or FIG

Vendue or Market Pavilion rooftop

Drexel hall or Middleton place

Sullivan's beach or IOP

Thanks in advance for indulging me!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,208 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you had to choose...

I think you mean Drayton Hall, we don't have a Drexel. I prefer Drayton Hall, because I love the old house. It is the only plantation with the original house, dating back to 1738. The house is maintained, but not restored ~ which means it is not fixed up to look like people are still living in it. Middleton, while it does not have the original house, has an original guest house (or some other type original building, I forget) that is restored. Middleton offer lots of other activities as well. Most people would choose Middleton.

Beach wise ~ Sullivan's and IOP are the same. I live on IOP, I have no preference, not sure what you are looking for here.

Gut reaction is FIG over SNOB, but the last time I went there, I was a bit disappointed. I'm hoping it was just an off night. The Macintosh is my new current favorite.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you had to choose...

Market Pavilion over Vendue for rooftop question. It is more expensive but I think a better experience. I hope you enjoy Charleston!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you had to choose...

Drayton Hall has the fascinating original house, but Middleton Place has extensive grounds and historic gardens, inspired by the gardens at Versailles. It is easy to see both Drayton Hall and Middleton Place on the same day if you get an early start. Middleton has a lovely restaurant in the grounds that is great for lunch.

I agree with choices of FIG and of Market Pavillion.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you had to choose...

Comparing FIG and SNOB is like apples and oranges. SNOB is more of a Southern restaurant, and FIG more new American/farm to table; I personally prefer SNOB, and usually take visitors there for a meal since I think it's more traditional, a better experience in general, and American cuisine can be found elsewhere, not just Charleston.

Vendue is more of a younger crowd, sometimes with a rock band, while Market Pavilion is a bit more upscale.

The two beaches are both nice, natural settings that I would choose based on where I wanted to be for the rest of the day and which would be more convenient.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you had to choose...

I agree that it is apples and oranges. In my opinion, FIG is unique in Charleston ... Exhibiting more influence from classic French cuisine than other fine Charleston restaurants, while remaining dedicated to local ("farm to table") ingredients. I like SNOB, too.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you had to choose...

We like both FIG and SNOB, so no help there.

MP over Vendue, hands down.

Do both Middleton and Drayton, two totally different experiences.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
12 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you had to choose...

SNOB and go to Boone Hall Plantation :0)

8. Re: If you had to choose...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:16