We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

usa
Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

We will be spending a few days in Charleston for our honeymoon in August. I've listed some things we would like to do each day, but I also tried to leave us room to be spontaneous and explore at our own pace. We are still narrowing down the restaurants we want to try, so those may appear in a later post once we make some decisions. My biggest questions: Are we doing enough (or too much on any given day)? Also, any feedback on the Edmondston-Alston House? I'm also open to suggestions of anything that's not on this list that you think should be. Thanks!

MONDAY 8/25

- 4pm: Arrive at Zero Water Street B&B

- Private Carriage Tour

- Honeymoon Dinner (Oak Steakhouse OR Grill 225)

TUESDAY 8/26

- Morning: USS Yorktown

- Lunch TBD

- Lots of free time to explore Charleston HD (shops, museums, parks)

**any feedback on the Edmondston-Alston House?**

- Dinner TBD

- 9:30pm: Old Charleston Ghost Tour

WEDNESDAY 8/27

- Lunch TBD

- 2:30pm: Fort Sumter Tour

- Dinner TBD

- 10pm: Bulldogs Old Jail Ghost Tour

THURSDAY 8/28

- 10am: NAO Kayaking Tour (Saltwater/Marshes)

- Lunch near Patriot's Point or IOP

- Beach/Day at IOP

- Dinner TBD

FRIDAY 8/29

- 8am: Check-Out & Breakfast (Eli’s Table OR Toast)

- Middleton Place

- Arrive in Asheville late evening

*will spend next day in Asheville to break up the drive home*

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

I'm partial to Drayton Hall if you only have time for one of the three Ashley River plantations, but that's just me. Definitely take time to walk around the neighborhoods in the historic district. You could spend all afternoon and not even cover half of the area. Other than that, looks pretty good, IMHO.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

The Edmonston Alston House is an excellent choice, for history and authenticity. If you have time to see more than one of the museum homes, the nearby Nathaniel Russell House is breathtaking! https:/…Russell.aspx

In general, you do not need to plan far in advance to tour the museum homes. Tours occur throughout the day. If you are strolling around, and the mood strikes you, drop in.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

I'd rethink that 2:30 trip to Ft. Sumter...open water and not the first bit of shade on the island, will be sweltering. I'd suggest moving it to the morning.

You could do both Middleton and Drayton before heading to Asheville, which is what many of us suggest.

You might want to look into the Heritage Pass, since you are interested in houses, as well.

charlestoncvb.com/charlestonheritagefederati…

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

I agree about Ft Sumter. Gaze out on Ft Sumter from The Battery and - as did General Beauregard - from the Edmonston Allston House, but skip the tour. Then, when you go to IOP, visit Ft Moultrie (active Revolutionary War through post WW2) on nearby Sullivans Island.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

I think 2 ghost tours will be redundant, I would probably only do one of them.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

Very much agree w/Endo...took one, once, that was enough for me.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

Just curious Kiawahbeth...was it enough because it was too scary, boring or something else? :-)

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

In a word, hokey. Sorry, but ghost tours are just not my cup of tea. Guests who were with us were not impressed either. I know lots of folks love this stuff, but it just wasn't for us.

This particular tour was not scary at all, stories, many of which we'd heard on other tours over the years.

The Ghosts of the Confederacy at Magnolia Cemetery was much more interesting (October, only).

usa
Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

Thanks so much for all the excellent feedback/suggestions!

-We will definitely move Ft. Sumter to the morning time slot, wasn't even thinking of how hot it might be!

-If we forego Sumter altogether, we may check out Moultrie (or do so anyway, since we will be out that way)

-Thanks for the suggestion on the other home tour, it does look incredible!

-As for the two ghost tours, one was a Groupon which we purchased for next to nothing. I've heard excellent things about the Old Jail, so I thought it would be cool to check out that one, as well. It may end up being redundant, but that's ok -- ghost history/tours are one of those quirky interests that we enjoy :)

ETA: Another reason we chose another ghost tour, was because they seemed very different from one another... based on the description, one is more of a walking tour through the historic parts of Charleston, in which they tie in some of the old history and ghost tales. The other is just at the Old Jail. So we chose one for the history, and the other one for more of the spooky setting.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 19:27
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sample Itinerary - Feedback Appreciated :)

I took the Old Jail tour several years ago. It was different - loaded with disturbing social history, and not the sort of romantic evening ghost stories we usually hear about Charleston. At that time, the jail was pretty much unrestored, so we were able to go inside the actual spaces and experience (some of) the conditions inmates might have endured. Now, the Old Jail is repurposed as the American College of Building Arts. I think I recently heard that tours no longer go through most of the jail itself, staying mainly on the outside. I would check with the tour company about access before making a decision.