My wife and I will be in Charleston May 14-17 and are staying in the historic district close to Beaufain and King streets. We are looking for some help on a couple of items.
1. Everyone says to take a carriage tour, are there specific ones? We probably don't need a private one, but whichever is best?
2. What good bars are close to where we are staying that we could have a few drinks at the end of the day and listen to some live music and walk home if possible? (we are 40 year olds so not club music) I have seen Gin Joint, Red Ice House, Blind Tiger, Thoroughbred Ba???
3. What walking tours to take? Is the dungeon tour worth it? We are interested more in historical info than architecture type tours. I don't mind seeing a few old houses, but don't want to spend the whole time just looking at old houses unless something historically important happened at them.
4. We want to go to a beach, but are not big on just laying around, would prefer a place we could rent bikes, do something in the water, or do something at the beach. We have a car so can drive if necessary. What beach/area would be best for us?
5. What plantation would be best to visit? I would prefer one with some history to it. I have seen Drayton, Middleton, and Boone Hall mentioned.
6. Does anyone recommend a kayak tour? Could we combine that with the beach?
7. Restaurants - obviously there are a ton (Fig, Snob, Husk, Hominy Grill, Poogans, Magnolias, Dixie Supply, etc) Which ones would be better for lunch vs. dinner? Also what about breakfast places in our area?? We are not fancy dinner types, but enjoy good low country food.