We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston vs. Savannah

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston vs. Savannah

We have never been to these cities and would like to see them in the same trip, spending a few days in each. Which one has more to see and do?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston vs. Savannah

Charleston has far more to see and do. Charleston has retained MANY more of it's historic buildings and sites than has Savannah, due to a very active historic preservation that started "saving" things in the early 1900's here. We usually suggest 2 days for Savannah and 4 or more for Charleston.

If you do a search on this very question ~ you will find that it is a common question and there are many threads regarding it. Read over some of those for additional info. Also look to the right side of this page for Top Questions About Charleston ~ it will give you lots of info on what is available to see and do. Also take a look at the thread "June 29 to July 5 any ideas welcome" from yesterday ~ I posted lots of links on things to see and do.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston vs. Savannah

And, your stop for lunch (and a few hours to poke around or take a tour) on your travel day between Charleston and Savannah should be in Beaufort, a pretty little waterfront town, with lots of history.

Another stop, just near the exit from 17 to head toward Beaufort, is the Old Sheldon Church ruins. Early in the day makes for great pictures, if you are into that. Do make sure you have your bug spray handy.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston vs. Savannah

Charleston and Savannah have essentially equal amounts of things to do. Suggest you split your time equally between the two cities.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston vs. Savannah

I was ready to leave Savannah after 2 days. You could live a lifetime in Charleston and never see and do it all. Beaufort makes a good one day stop between the two and the Sheldon Church Ruins are a good stop for an hour or so. Do take the advise about the bug spray and to go early.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston vs. Savannah

I completely disagree, but everyone has an opinion. Most of our visitors who have gone to both say that they felt Charleston needed more time. A few say the reverse.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 15:08
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston vs. Savannah

We have visited that area numerous times, and what we do is we stay in the Beaufort area (Fripp or Harbor Island). We then take a short day trip north to Charleston or south to Savannah. Both are roughly an hour drive from the Beaufort area.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston vs. Savannah

We did a 12 day road trip in April, spending five nights in Charleston, two nights in Beaufort, three nights in Savannah, and one night in Camden and Charlotte.

I was glad we visited Savannah, but I had had enough after three nights. I don't think I will go back. But, I would return to Charleston or Beaufort in a second. Of course, it is a matter of personal taste, but my husband and I loved the look and feel of Charleston, the wonderful restaurants, the history, the beautiful homes etc. Savannah has a completely different vibe which many people like. We liked it, just didn't love it. I would also highly recommend Beaufort, but I would suggest staying two nights so you have one full day to explore. The town is gorgeous, and Hunting Island us close by.

Bug spray is a must. I forgot my bug spray one day out of the twelve, and had bites all over my arms and legs for weeks afterwards. I thought they would never go away!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston vs. Savannah

I have been to Savannah and I must say that there are a lot more things to do in Charleston. I suggest spending more time in Charleston.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charleston vs. Savannah

Charleston is a bigger city and you could probably find more to do there. However, Savannah is certainly worth a 'few days'. I'd split it evenly if you can, with a slight lean to Charleston. Please note, I prefer Savannah, but your only requisite was "more to see and do".

10. Re: Charleston vs. Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:15