We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

My husband and I are planning a two week tour in late November of some of the cities in Southern USA and I have been researching posts on several forums on TA.

Having looked at all the comments, I have put a provisional plan together and would be extremely grateful for any assistance with this. (I have also posted this onto the NO forum)

We enjoy sightseeing but are not overly into art galleries and museums, also like good food (!) and music. The provisional plan is:

Flight UK to Charlotte

Hire car and drive to Asheville (2 nights)

Return to Charlotte and fly to Nashville

Hire car and spend 2 night in Nashville

Drive to Memphis and stay 2 nights

Take flight Memphis to New Orleans

Stay 3 nights New Orleans

Take flight to Jacksonville

Hire car and drive to Savannah (2 night)

Drive to Charleston (3 nights)

Drive to Charlotte for flight back to UK

Thank you very much for your help

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

Welcome to the Charleston Forum. If you have not already done so.... please look to the right of this page (on a computer, not a phone) for Top Questions About Charleston. This will give you lots of info on what is available to see and do in the Charleston area. Once you have some ideas on what interests you, you can ask more specific questions and we can help you narrow things down a bit. There are even some sample itineraries listed there.

I suggest staying in the historic district, you will be able to walk to many excellent restaurants, historic sites, shopping, bars, etc. When looking for a hotel you want "historic district", NOT "downtown". They are not the same thing. Downtown will not be walking distance to anything. I would suggest booking your lodging several months in advance, a minimum of one month. Make reservations for dinner at least 2 weeks in advance. We have many wonderful restaurants and they do get booked up year round.

I would also post questions in each city that you plan to visit, for the best answers on those places. People here can give a bit of advice on Asheville and Savannah ~ but you will get better answers by posting there.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 02:26
Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

Thank you endosunshine for your help. I am still thinking about my itinerary. Trying at the moment to sort out best flight options but struggling a bit even with extensive use of kayak!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

It looks like a great plan to me. One thing, I would drive from Asheville to Nashville. It is a little over 4 hour drive. It would save you a lot of time and money on flights. You have a two hour drive from Asheville to the airport in Charlotte.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

You can try using the "multi city" button on Kayak and look for flights that way. That has worked for me in the past. However, recently while planning a trip, it worked out better (and cheaper) to book several separate one way tickets between destinations. Have you tried looking on the site for Southwest Airlines? You have to go directly to their site.... it won't come up on searches such as Kayak. They do not fly every where, but I checked and they do fly in and out of the cities that you have mentioned. Their prices are usually quite reasonable.

The suggestion above to just drive from Asheville to Nashville is a good one. However, there is usually a penalty if you rent a car in one town and drop it off in a different town, often a couple of hundred dollars. You would have to weigh the costs of flights versus the cost of the drop off fee and see what is the better deal.

Good luck with all the planning. :-)

5. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:16