We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planning Questions

ny
Level Contributor
176 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Planning Questions

Hubby and I are coming for four nights with twin 13 year old boys, and their aunt. We have booked a couple of nice restaurants but I am looking for suggestions for fun restaurants for us to eat at with boys. They like seafood, Italian, but I would like them to experience some southern cooking too, not so much farm to table as traditional southern. Planning to go to the plantations, and tour Charleston, any other suggestions are welcomed for stuff to do with kids who really enjoy history. Staying in historic district. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Planning Questions

I think they would enjoy Patriot's Point, includes the USS Yorktown, which was in the Battle of Midway in WWII. The Center for Birds of Prey is always a hit with boys.

www.patriotspoint.org

www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org

Jestine's in the historic district is casual southern cooking, does not take reservations, you show up and wait for a table. Delicious Coca Cola cake, a southern staple. Serves lunch and supper. Magnolia's is new southern, more upscale. Hominy Grill (not in the historic district, near the Medical University) is also southern casual, also does not take reservations.

www.jestineskitchen.com

www.hominygrill.com

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Planning Questions

They might enjoy the old Powder Magazine too.

www.powdermag.org

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Planning Questions

I wouldn't recommend the food, but kids like Joe Pasta on King St.

ny
Level Contributor
176 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Planning Questions

thanks for the suggestions, the boys will really like Patriots Point. Been on many subs and navel ships but i think only one other air carrier. Restaurants look good too, will try for reservations tomorrow.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 05:22
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Planning Questions

Please consider a walking tour as the summer heat has a dramatic impact on the horses.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Planning Questions

You are not aware of how the tours are run here. The horses and mules are very closely monitored by the city. It the temperatures rise above a certain point, all carriage tours are discontinued until it is cooler. Horses are "rotated", so that they do not work every single day, It is all strictly controlled. The horses/mules are well taken care of.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Planning Questions

AnimalC, I dont know where you're coming from, but you need to consider that large animals are in hell if they don't have a job. Horses live 20+ years. Humane slaughter is illegal, despite the international market for horsemeat, and there are hundreds of retired racehorses starving to death in "rescue" paddocks.

If you throw all those heavy carriage horses out of work, how do you plan to support them?

8. Re: Trip Planning Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 05:16