We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

Merrick, New York
11 posts
Save Topic
Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

Hi,

We are planning to visit all three cities. We have to fly in from out of the area. I was going to rent a car in Charleston then drive to Savannah, then on to Atlanta. Some people told me I don't need a car in Charleston or Savannah. Anyone have a suggestion on what would be my best options for getting around. I guess I could fly to Atlanta from Savannah if I don't need a car there then get a car there (atlanta) if I need one in Atlanta. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

If you intend to limit your visit to the historic district only in both Savannah and Charleston, then you would not need a car. In Charleston, if you wish to visit plantations, a beach, etc., then you need a car. How long of a time frame do you have? You could easily split a week between just Charleston and Savannah. Charleston has far more to see and do than does Savannah, so typically people spend more days here than in Savannah. Personally, I would not try to see all 3 cities in only 1 week. If you have a longer time frame, then that would be different.

You could fly into Charleston, stay in the historic district a couple of days, get a car for the last day or 2 to visit some outlying areas and then drive on to Savannah.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

I agree w/Endo, spend more time here in Charleston, get a car the last day or two, then drive to Savannah.

Things do greatly depend upon how long you will be here, if it is just a week, you might want to cut out one of the cities.

It's about 6 hours driving time from ATL to CHS, so you could easily fly between the two cities, shuttle to the Historic District to a hotel, then get the car toward the end of your stay.

Merrick, New York
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

Thanks so much. I was thinking three nights in each city??? Sound about right? Also from airport to historic district in Charlston??

Edited: 25 June 2014, 15:38
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

On your way between CHS and SAV, take a short side trip to Beaufort SC, a delightful, historic little town with shops and eating places along a nice riverfront park. If you're into African-American history, drive out to St Helena Island and visit the Penn Center, the site of early A-A education and a retreat center visited by MLK.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

I would probably take 4 days for Charleston and 2 for Savannah. Airport to historic district ~ cabs, shared shuttles and the bus has a shuttle that runs from the airport to the Visitors Center for $3. You would still have to get to your hotel from there tho.

NYC
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

I greatly appreciate all the advise . If anyone has any other tips to add I would welcome them.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

steveg2700: Are you the original poster??? If so, why the name change?

Merrick, New York
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

Not sure why my last posts did show up. But yes I am the original poster. My computer is the the original name but the iPhone and Google app won't let me use that name so I had to use my google name. It wasn't by choice believe me. But both names are me.

9. Re: Charleston, Savannah & Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:17