We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling routes outside Charleston.

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, GA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Cycling routes outside Charleston.

My family will be visiting Charleston in late September. I'm looking for some biking routes outside Charleston (John's Island, etc) for my husband, while the girls and I hit Folly Beach one afternoon. He does mid-to-long distance street cycling (no trails). I want to locate a rural area where traffic is lighter than in-town.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling routes outside Charleston.

The roads on Johns, James & Wadmalaw are narrow. No shoulders, no bike lanes. If you could drive him to Beachwalker County Park just outside the gate to Kiawah, he can pedal down the beach into the gated part of Kiawah then ride their marvelous bike trails all day.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling routes outside Charleston.

Yes, the roads on the above mentioned islands are rural, but heavily trafficked, not good for bikers.

There is really no good/safe biking in the Charleston area.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling routes outside Charleston.

There is good safe biking on Kiawah!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling routes outside Charleston.

Yes, there is. If you (essentially) sneak onto a gated island.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling routes outside Charleston.

If you want to bike on Kiawah, then stay on Kiawah, that's my philosophy.

The trails are for those who choose to stay there, they are the ones who are paying for them.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling routes outside Charleston.

Okay, so here's the deal...yes, we do have 25+ miles of bike trails, but they were not created for serious bikers.

Serious/distance bikers do not like our trails, they ride on the narrow roads, instead, and end up causing traffic back-ups and getting lectures from the security folks about even being on the roads, where there are signs prohibiting them from riding.

The bike trails are filled with vacationers, many of whom have not ridden a bike in 20 years or more and now all of a sudden it sounds like a good idea. There are kids, there are dogs, there are people toting surfboards, there are walkers, there are people pulling trailers who look like they are moving entire households to the beach...these are not trails for serious riders.

Don't have an answer as to where to ride, but Kiawah is definitely not the place for someone who is looking to get distance miles in.

Pending tide (and activity on the beach), at least there are approximately 10 miles of bikeable beach, so that would give you 20 miles right there, starting at Beachwalker Park, riding east and turning around and going back.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
264 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling routes outside Charleston.

If you don't have your heart set on Folly as a beach destination, you could go to Sullivan's Island or Isle of Palms to the beach and your husband could ride in that area. There is a bike lane across the causeway and Ben Sawyer bridge coming onto Sullivan's and I frequently see cyclists biking across the island. Certain streets are busier than others, but the 35mph speed limit makes it a little friendlier to bikes. There is a bike lane on IOP from Breach Inlet to the IOP connector and he could ride across the connector to Mt. Pleasant/Seaside Farms shopping area and back. If you combine both islands, there's quite a bit of bike-able territory. Just more food for thought!

8. Re: Cycling routes outside Charleston.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:15